Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question on DSl

• Please log in to reply

bobyyy

bobyyy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi so ive never used DSL, and my question is probably not easy to answer i know. So i moved to a shared flat, conect to a hub thru a cable wich i just plugged into my ethernet port and i was online. My question is can the other people see my internet content? :whistling:

I assume it slots into a hub anyway, i dont know if the hub is managed by another computer, its a realtek conection if that helps. I didnt have to give any information at all i just plugged the cable in and my internet started to work.

Somebody lived in the room before me so a conection would already have been established from this room,,but not from my computer.

So my question is, how lickley is it that someone, (possibly whoever set up the DSL) can see my history.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi bobvvv,

It sounds like someone at the flat has set up a router and switch network to share the Internet connection. This is a relatively low risk environment for you provided you are aware of what is on your computer in the way of security and network settings. If you don't trust your flatmates turn off remote desktop, file and printer sharing, and disable remote registry service. Also install a personal firewall (there are several free ones available like Zone Alarm, Sygate, and Kerio). Keep your AV up to date (or install one if you don't have one, again there are free ones available like AVG Free and Avast) and scan on a regular basis.

The higher speeds means more operitunity to see more of the Internet and with that comes the risks that are out there. So use Safe Hex.

Edited by silverbeard, 27 September 2006 - 01:03 PM.