Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System and Random Freezes

• Please log in to reply

Mynzaboxer

Mynzaboxer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I received my new system from Velocity Micro about three weeks ago. Shortly after I started having Random screen freezes. The most common is where I've left the system alone for a while, come back and have lost control of the wireless mouse and keyboard (I've also tried a USB wired Mouse and Keyboard with the same result.

A few days ago, I experienced freezes at various times during the boot ... a couple of times when Windows was starting to load and then once yesterday I recieved the message of a 'Bad Bus Checksum -Starting Bios Recovery ... Checking for Floppy" after which it froze and I had to do another restart. This is the only time this occurred. I've tried a cold and warm boot with the same results.

I've deleted a possibly 'buggy' screensaver I had paid for and downloaded. Other than that, the only other programs I have installed since recieving the system are my virus program (BitDefender 10), Zone Alarm Pro ,ACDSEE 9 photo viewer and one game (URU, The Complete Chronicles) . Both Zone Alarm Pro and ACDSEE ... as well as URU have run just fine on my old system so I don't think the problem there.

One time, after deleting the Screensaver, I thought I'd play it safe and do a System Restore prior to the original install. When System Restore started it froze and at the same time a loud, continuous, highpitched squeal came through the speakers. I had to reboot again.

I did have trouble installing my HP Photosmart 8250 printer without a lengthy AutoDetection of a USB Storage Device during boot, so I've just disconnected it until I can try installing it manually.

I've been on the phone with Velocity several times, have performed a test on the Hitachi HD and another for the memory and all is fine there. What Velocity told me last night was that it 'sounds' like a MB problem and that they'll send someone out (an independant contractor) to reinstall a new one. I'm a little PO'd that I've spent this much $ and am faced with a MB replacement. They factory test before they send out (supposedly).

I know there are a lot of variables here, but can someone tell me if this random instability and freezing sounds like a Motherboard problem to you? Seems like a big step to change it out if it's not. Again, I can run the system just fine for a while and at other times there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the freezes.

Intel Core2 CPU 6700, 2.66 GHz@ 2669MHz
HD: Hitachi 500GB
MB: ASUS; P5N32-SLI-SE-Deluxe
MEM: 2048 MB /DDR2<br />GFX: Radeon X1900XTX Crossfire
Monitor: Dell 2407WFP
WinXP Family Ed, SP2
Add'l drives:
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A
LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236V
Sound: SB X-Fi Audio

Edited by Mynzaboxer, 27 September 2006 - 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
yes, sounds like a bad m/b due to system bus somewhere..hey at least you will get a new m/b lucky it did it now versus after warranty-after new m/b installed keep an eye on it. If it still happens you may consider checking out the ram? possibly