Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser slowdown

• Please log in to reply

Kat232

Kat232

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I believe my Internet browsing has greatly slowed down... even further than my DSL should allow (although I understand it's not exactly cable). Wouldn't be surprised if there's too much junk in my system to allow smooth running, but am wondering if there's a way to clean out the muck without having to reformat my hard drive.

Also don't want to have to reformat since I've never done that and am not sure how to do so without losing my data.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Formating would be an over kill, forget that for now.

First, are you sure you computer is malware free? Malware can slow your computer down a lot.

You would be spot on when you said there would be a lot fo junk on your computer. Formating is no the only way to fix that. http://www.ccleaner.com/ is a great program for cleaning this up.

I also recomend that you don't use Internet Explorer but rather Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ It dose not slow down as much as Internet Explorer (manly because it dose not pick up all the nasties that run around the web).

Edited by Michael, 28 September 2006 - 12:51 AM.

Kat232

Kat232

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
From the description of ccleaner, it does a little more than what I already do regularly. I often clear private data from Firefox (yep, often use that) and clear the history and temp internet files from Explorer (use it when Firefox won't support a website as Explorer does), then run Spybot, keep the recycle bin empty and run the regular disk cleanup & defrag. Still downloading ccleaner anyway in case it does extra fun stuff.

Any other ideas to cleanse my system while I'm at it?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you use IE only when FireFox does not support a site you might like http://ietab.mozdev.org/

Can you answer this question you did not answer from my last post.
Are you sure you computer is malware free? Malware can slow your computer down a lot. If things got sudenly slower I would suspect that malware is the cause.

How old is this computer? When was it last formated if ever?

ccleaner dose to a little more than what you listed, I hopeing that helps.

Are other programs slowing down, or is it just IE?