Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Conflict

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I'm having a very poor connection and alot of disconnects lately. I got a message earlier saying there was an IP conflict. An odd thing though, I can't open ipconfig to do anything about it. I open it and it immediatly closes itself. Seems kind of fishy. I'm on a wired network running WinXP on both computers. What should I do?

Edited by Metalive, 28 September 2006 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can't run ipconfig from the run menu you have to open a command prompt first
so
start > run > cmd > THEN ipconfig /all

how many compusters are hooked up on your network? do you know if they get their ip address via dhcp or are they static?

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I don't even know what DHCP and static mean.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
DHCP stands for dynamic host configuration protocol. It's a way to automatically assign IP addresses to machines in a network. Static means the machine has a network address manually assigned by an administrator.

The conflict you are experiencing could be because one machine may be hard coded (has a static IP) and the other is accepting DHCP from the router and the router has assigned and address that is already being used.

On each machine go to Start /Control Panel /if category view click Network and Internet then Network Connections, If Classic view click Network Connection. Right click on the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the properties window select Internet Protocol TCP/IP then click Properties. On the general tab if the IP, subnet mask and default gateway have numbers then this machine has an assigned static and you can either change it to automatically obtain address and DNS(recommended for most routers) or leave it and set the other machine to a static and disable the DHCP Server in the router and map the network in the router set up.