Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I HAVE ALL MY HARD DRIVE SLOTS FULL. HOW CAN I ADD ONE MORE? ANY TIPS?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello I have a case that has the normal two slots for 2 hard drives, and two slots for 2 cd drives. Well both of my hard drive slots are full, and so is one of my cd slots. The only empty slot I have left is a cd drive slot. I know what your asking yourself. Is this guy crazy? Why doesn't he just take out a drive and add it. Well I'll tell you the reason... I have a special acrylic case, and the only way to add a hard drive or cd drive is to totally dismantle it (takes about 1 hour). As I mentioned I have one free slot for a cd drive. I'm thinking maybe I can use that slot somehow. & put the hard drive in there somehow. This is just a temporary thing. I need the drive in there just for a bit than I will take it out. I will do this every now and than. It's just an extra drive I use from time to time. It has an o/s on it that is different than my other normal drives that's why. & I use it for other purposes. So hopefully there is a way I can add the drive in the cd slot. I read a pc mag once that said you can use two pencils and a rubberband or something I dunno.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I would suggest putting that hard drive in an external drive case (either USB2 or firewire if you have it).

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

If you have an empty 5.25in bay (CDROM bay), then just buy a convertor kit. See the pic below for a better idea of what to look for.

driverails.jpg

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm probably gonna buy that drive convertor. Right now I screwed in the drive in a small metal kind of box that I found in an old pc. It's basically just sitting in my pc now. Samm you'd know the box I'm speaking of since it's the old vectra hard drive holder that you can "press" to detach. Well thats how I have it in my pc right now. One thing though... It's sitting under my sound card. Could this have any bad effect and ruin my soundcard. Another question is the fact that if I buy that cd drive convertor iin order to put the hard drive in the cd drive, will it cause any damage to the dvd drives that will be right above it?? Meaning is there any bad signals or waves that will ruin anything?

If having it right under my sound card right now is bad tell me and I'll take it off, and reattach my regular drives.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can also get a removable drive tray and install it in the CD slot. You can only remove the disk when the machine is off, unless you get a higher end hot swap unit. You can also get additional drive trays to put in different disks. It helps to get one with a fan and setup so that you can mount the disk in the middle so that air can flow above and below it. I have seen these for around $15-$20 at computer shows.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
You could also grab yourself an external IDE to USB/FireWire convertor, quite a handy little gadget.

--bmwboy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Superstar

Placing the drive in one of the CDROM bays will not have any negative effect on the CD/DVD drives. I would recommend though that you place the drive in the lowest 5.25in bay with the optical drives above. Reason being is that if its in between 2 optical drives, or at the very top, it will have very little air flowing around it & may be more likely to overheat.

Having it next to the sound card shouldn't have any impact on the card as far as I know. Cant swear to this though as I've never tried it

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
well okay. hope so. because i have the drive right under the sound card... hope it doesn't ruin anything