Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer powers down randomly

• Please log in to reply

SkaFreak

SkaFreak

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been having some issues with my computer randomly powering down lately. I have been able to recreate the issue by trying to convert a video with the Divx converter, but it also has done it randomly while playing games. When I say power down I don't mean go through the system shutdown or BSoD, but rather that it seems all power is abruptly shut down. I have tried running a burn-in program, memorytest 86 on the ultimate boot cd, reinstalling windows, and monitoring the processor core heat (the computer has shut down at 48C so it seems heating is not the issue.) I have a 450Watt power supply and it's on a UPS so power should not be the issue here either. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to other possibilites or a way to pinpoint the problem. Thanks for you time/help in advance.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SkaFreak...

Is your video card up to the task? Is it getting too hot when it's under a heavy load? Maybe turning the Hardware Acceleration down a bit in the Display Properties Advanced settings would help. Your description of how it shuts down and the fact that it seems to happen most when doing graphics related tasks has me suspecting the video card.

wannabe1

SkaFreak

SkaFreak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry that it took so long to reply, I had done some work on my system and tried reseating everything and such just in case. I thought it was probably my graphics card overheating at first so I bought a pci slot fan to pump air out from it, but it still may be a bit warm as I am running a pretty high end system without much in the way of cooling fans. Need to replace my 80 with a 120 one of these days. I will try your sugestion of turning down hardware acceleration a couple of notches and see how it goes.