Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows - Delayed Write Failed

• Please log in to reply

XP_lidocious

XP_lidocious

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have several USB 2.0 external drives attached to my XP SP2 system; all through the same hub.

I keep getting a Windows error for one of the drives; a Seagate 200 GB (Drive O) that I use to back up the data from a Maxtor 200 GB. The error in full says:

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file O:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere." :blink:

Once the error message pops ups, I can access the drive; it shows that data exists via properties; but none of the data is visible. If I reboot the system, the drive will be fine for a while, then the eroor message pop-ups begin anew. I am not even accessing the drive most times the error appears.

I have reformatted the drive several times; have run diagnostics on it via System Mechanic; have kept the MFT up to (and above) the amount of space recommended by Diskeeper. I have also run chkdsk /f at startup. It appears that the drive is healthy by all accounts. :whistling:

My question is two fold.

a) What might be causing this error?
b) Where the error states "Please try to save this file else where." -- I would be glad to if I had any idea of what the file was, and where to find it so that I can save it.

Many Thanks in Advance,
XP Lidocious

Advertisements

kereddivad

kereddivad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just out of curiosity, how is your Seagate drive formatted (FAT, NTFS)? I am getting the same error on a Seagate as well. Mine is formatted NTFS. I originally had this issue on a 300GB Seagate and it got corrupted to the point of being unuseable. I sent it back to Seagate and they replaced it with a 400GB. Now it is doing the same thing.

Did you ever figure out how to fix yours?

Thanks,
DDD