Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invisible files - removing adrotate - malware

• Please log in to reply

mmm_max

mmm_max

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[font=Arial][size=3]

I have been following instructions on this site for a bit trying to remove 'adrotate' for several days by myself. I ccleaned the sys then downloaded spyware doc and looked at the files and removed them. Adrotate kept booting up frmo somewhere. Spydoc found two files that needed to be removed. On was in the recycler bin under a subdirectory that windows showed was empty. I was logged in as admin with 'show hidden files' checked. Nada seen. The other file was the 'ammo06.inf' in the 'downloaded program files' directory. That was invisible also.

At whits end I finally started cmd and listed the directories with the /a: option and saw and deleted the necessary files.

Now to the question: What is the meaning of shaded icons for directories? Why cannot I see everything everwhere as 'administrator' with show hidden checked? Apparently Bill Gates mother has higher security access that the sysadmin!

thanks

max

btw Im restarting the sys to see if adrotator comes back......ugh

Advertisements