Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build

• Please log in to reply

yokems

yokems

• Pip
  • 3 posts
New build consists of
Mobo-Biostar P4M800-M7A socket 775 Micro ATX
Ram-2 Ultra 513 DDR PC3200 dual channel
CPU-Celeron D 3.2 socket 775
PSU-Ultra 500W ATX
HD-Seagate serialATA 160G
After assembly, computer would not start, not even a post beep.
CPU fan is running, fan and heatsink are new. Disconected floppy drive and optical drive, still no start.
Replaced mobo wih another (new, same model). No change. Swapped PSU. with a spare unit, still no start.
Switched ram module slots, NG. Removed ram mod. one at a time, no change. After all this, still the only thing that starts are the cooling fans, and still not even a post beep.
Never had this kind of problem before. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks, Yokems. :whistling:

Edited by yokems, 29 September 2006 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi yokems! Welcome to G2G!

Try testing the board outside of the case. Put the motherboard down on bubble-wrap (a plastic bag from the grocery store will work as well) and connect the Power supply connectors to the motherboard (don't forget the 4-pin P4 connector!) and also connect the mouse, keyboard and video connector from the monitor. Also make sure the memory is installed in the correct slots. Then plug in the power cord to the back of the power supply and make sure the power supply switch is set to ON if there is a switch. Some don't have one. Then use a phillips screwdriver and touch both of the pins that correspond to powering on the motherboard and that should turn the computer on. See if the computer POSTs now.

If it does post, then your motherboard is getting grounded somehow. AKA, something on the motherboard is touching port of the case and causing it not to start.

Fenor

*EDIT* After I posted this, I remembered to add the bolded part of the message to check and make sure the 4-pin P4 connector is attached. Check this first before you try to test it outside the case. Make sure you hear it 'snap in' so you know that it is in all the way. If you did have it connected and are having this problem, then continue on with testing the motherboard outside the case.

Edited by Fenor, 29 September 2006 - 04:46 PM.

yokems

yokems

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi yokems! Welcome to G2G!

Try testing the board outside of the case. Put the motherboard down on bubble-wrap (a plastic bag from the grocery store will work as well) and connect the Power supply connectors to the motherboard (don't forget the 4-pin P4 connector!) and also connect the mouse, keyboard and video connector from the monitor. Also make sure the memory is installed in the correct slots. Then plug in the power cord to the back of the power supply and make sure the power supply switch is set to ON if there is a switch. Some don't have one. Then use a phillips screwdriver and touch both of the pins that correspond to powering on the motherboard and that should turn the computer on. See if the computer POSTs now.

If it does post, then your motherboard is getting grounded somehow. AKA, something on the motherboard is touching port of the case and causing it not to start.

Fenor

*EDIT* After I posted this, I remembered to add the bolded part of the message to check and make sure the 4-pin P4 connector is attached. Check this first before you try to test it outside the case. Make sure you hear it 'snap in' so you know that it is in all the way. If you did have it connected and are having this problem, then continue on with testing the motherboard outside the case.

Thanks for the info. will try this next,
Yokums

T-Unit

T-Unit

• Pip
  • 8 posts
BTW I had a similar problem and it wasn't a grounding issue although we all thought it was. It was a bad CPU as weird as that sounds, because usually a bad CPU will cause a POST error but not this time. Swapped the CPU and BAM, everything was perfect. It could also be a memory timing issue, make sure your memory is supported by your motherboard manufacturer.

yokems

yokems

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info. I tried a third motherboard and that did it. I did not have any shorts (I tried it out of the case), and my ram was correct. Never had a problem like this before. Very rare, two bad motherboards in a row.
Take care, Yokems.