Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The amazing 11 o'clock bug (?) (!)

• Please log in to reply

takashi

takashi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This sounds so weird that it has to be dead easy to solve. I get in from work in the evening, fire up windows live messenger, start a video call with a friend. she is running a 1mb connection, i can see her in real time, no problem. On the other hand, my video pic updates once every 5-10 minutes, so I'm just frozen there in a series of ridiculous poses. I'm running a 4mb connection. At the same time I could surf the net and not notice any particular slowness, although it is not exactly like greased lightning. Basically video call is completely unusable, it is that slow.
Anyway, here is the interesting bit. Come 11 o'clock pm, all of a sudden, everything runs like clockwork - my video pic runs in real time, and the serious chatting can begin. Not at approximately 11 o'clock, not 5 to 11, not 5 past 11, NO - at EXACTLY 11 o'clock. Every time. Without fail. (At least as far as my testing has gone) I know it is always the same time because I watch the clock. (To be absolutely honest on my pc it occurs while the clock shows 23:00 but somewhere between 23:00 and 23:01)
I've run speed checks. It varies, at worst I get a speed check of 120.6kbps and at best 2.4mbps. But there seems to be no correlation between this and the video speed. The cable company has given the all clear. I've done signal strength tests - they were the same before and after 11.00pm. Microsoft have no idea. I've scanned for adware and spyware, malware, you name it. I've run it with firewalls on, and firewalls off. I've added more memory. I've used msconfig to disable some useless background programs. I've tried changing the clock on the computer. I've uninstalled live msn and re-installed 7.5.
One thing you'll be asking - I'm not sure what time the following morning it all grinds to a halt again. At the weekend, it is okay during the day. But it then gradually slows down around 6-7pm, and is again completely unusable.
I don't know where to go with this anymore. But the clue has to be in the dramatic change at 11.00pm. I have tried asking the cable company if some automated computer is running some program using all the bandwidth and shuts off at 11pm but they haven't been able to tell me anything. Other possible clues, it all started to go wrong round about the time I installed live messenger, but also when I installed a new webcam, but I've tried changing both to no avail.
Can anyone help?

Advertisements