Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need AM2 Mobo

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I,m using a socket 939 msi k8n neo4 plat board. I always have small memory issues causing small mini crashes that will recover. I have put in new kingston 3200 value ram, 2 gigs @ 4/512 chips. I'm getting tired of the mini crashes and thinking about upgrading to AM2. I need to find out what everyone is using and how they like it. Most of the user reviews on Newegg are not supportive of any AM2 boards. I could use some help on this. I need plenty of PCI slots along with PCIEX. Thanks Bruce

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most AM2 motherboards now only give you two or three PCI slots, one PCI-Express slot (for graphics) and one or two mini PCI-E slots. Gone are the days now where you can get boards with more than four legacy PCI slots on them, as the industry is moving towards hardware that's smaller, faster, eventually cheaper and the future standard. In a few years time you won't be seeing boards with any PCI slots on them, it'll be full-blown PCI-Ex.

IMO on AM2, I'm not convinced on the cheaper processors, as they are noticeably slower than the mid-range 939 processors. To get any real benefit out of the new AM2 generation processors, you need to go straight up to the AM2 dual-core range.

Also, because this new technology is only five months old, there are lots of teething troubles going on with various boards, various processors and various types of memory. Some boards do not like certain types of memory, some boards do not like certain PCI-E graphics, some boards aren't keen on performing too well. Therefore I personally cannot recommend an AM2 base at this time. I'd give it another six months at least.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks, I agree with you and I will give these board some time to grow. I am running a MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum mobo with 2 gigs of kingston value ram, AMD Anthlon 64 3800 dual core. I built this system and it is fast except for these minor mini crashes I get every day. Allot in explore.exe. I recover after ending the program and don't have to reboot. I just sent a email to kingston requesting the setting I need to manually set ut the memory in the bios. I have tried everything else except the PS. It is a 480 w thermotake.I running a audigy two card, a special USB card for the KDS cd unit " Because it has timing issues with USB2". I have a 250gig wd HD, card reader, 2 sony dvd burners, External usb backup drive, and numerous other USB items. I don't know if all the USB I am running needs a bigger PS than 480 but I'm guessing not. Your opinion would well taken. Thanks Bruce

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Also, Socket AM2 requires DDR2 RAM, and I believe that all Socket 939 boards are DDR RAM, so you would probably need new RAM.

--bmwboy

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yes it would be like building a new system. Bruce