Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installation problem

• Please log in to reply

rob h66

rob h66

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I recently bought a second hand pc, about 1 year old, for my daughter, it had a non genuine copy of xp pro on it so I bought a new full version of xp home and installed it following all of the on screen instructions, everything worked fine untill it came time to run windows from the hard drive(normal startup) the first screen with the logo and the moving blue thingy comes up fine but then it goes to a black screen with a small box in the middle that says NO SUPPORT, it looks almost identical to the message I get when powering off which says NO SIGNAL. ANy ideas on what I need to do next?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the power button and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode

rob h66

rob h66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Found the problem with the screen, had to boot into safe mode and set enable vga, now I have the problem that I get a message saying there is no sound device, I dont know what is actually fitted and have no software for it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you don't have the original drivers disk for this computer you can do one of two things.

If the computer is a desktop open the lefthand side cover of the box (looking from the front backwords). On the motherboard you will find the manufacturer's name and board model. Enter the manufactuerer's intenet site download and install all you missing drivers. To check which drivers you need enter Control Panel > system > hardware >device manager. If you have a yellow question mark near a device's name then the driver of this device is missing.

Another option: dowload Everest Home edition from here , install and run the program. Click "motherboard" to find which board you have in your computer. Download and install missing drivers.

rob h66

rob h66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorted! Thanks for your help, this one was easy in the end, once I could get the screen up properly I checked the driver disc that came with the motherboard and hey presto everything works ok..............for now.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.