Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 PC blocking entire network

• Please log in to reply

Sterretje

Sterretje

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I just get rid of malware and it seems that was not causing the network problem.
I have a Compaq pc, Fujitsu-siemens pc and a Medion Notebook on a wired adsl router SMC 7404BRA with modem.
Fuji and Medion do have internet together, but once Compaq turns on and get on the network, it blocks all internet access. I tried pinging google and it works on all computers but none get on the website itself.
I gave all a static IP, because previciously I had an IP conflict.
All computers are running on XP home edition. Fuji is the one which was infected with the malware and Compaq has just been formated and is actually an empty pc. Because it couldn't connect to the internet it even didn't had an update yet.
All computers have access to the router, so the wires are ok.
Medion and Fuji have internet access separately, Compaq can't even connect alone.
I'm just lost here... Can anyone help me?? :whistling:

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I've thought on this one for a while and can only come up with for some reason the Compaq is listening on all incoming Ports leaving nothing open for the other pc's to use.

Download TCPview and use it on the Compaq. (it doesn't require installing. Copy it to a folder on the PC and double click the EXE) It should show which ports are being used by the computer.

Sterretje

Sterretje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello Silverbeard,

Thanx for replying. I d/l TCPview and runned it on the Compaq... But because it refreshes every second my screen keeps on flashing data... I paused it and saved a txt file and attached it here.
Does it make any sense?

Attached Files

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
That indicates that something on the system is trying to contact the internet and sending out a lot of traffic. More than likely caused by some kind of malware.

After looking at the log you posted the machine has a virus. msiupdate32.exe is a part of a virus/trojan. The msnmrgrs.exe looks to be trying to mascaraed as MSN Messenger. so at this point I need to referyou over to the malware forum. They will need you to post a Hijackthis log. You download it from Major Geeks.

Sterretje

Sterretje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanx for replying... I'll try the malware forum.

Sterretje

Sterretje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I couldn't run HiJackThis because it kept closing the window...
Safe mode couldn't work either because of an error message about Explorer.exe
So I tried restoring it to the point before I put MSN messenger on... And the miracle is... that I have internet now :blink:

Thanx anyway for identifying it :whistling:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Your welcome. I apologize that it took so long for some one to reply to the original post.

I would still advise a good cleaning of the machine with Anti-virus/anti malware like Spybot Search and Distroy, Ad-ware, and mybe an online scan like Housecall.