Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstall Multimedia SP2?

• Please log in to reply

gwpinetree

gwpinetree

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had a new motherboard installed recently and sound has been a problem ever since.

I'm messed around,a nd seem to have removed multimedia support. All I have now is the Microsoft kernel Wave Audio Mixer, but in Device Manager there an error:
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

If I try to reinstall it from Add/remove Windows components, multimedia doesn't show up anywhere.

I suspect there's a way to reinstall multimedia from the command line (I believe all the files are in the SP2 i386 directory). but I haven't found it.

I've been through every damned diagnostic I can find on the web. I'm this close to reinstalling, but am concerned that that will cause as many problems as it'll solve. :-)

Thanks.

Greg

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Replace the system files if you haven't already

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Have you got onboard sound or an installed soundcard

gwpinetree

gwpinetree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, the scan seemed to have no effect -- although the kernal audio driver is now gone.

The board does have audio, but iut's disabled in BIOS. The sound card appears to be working, but without multimedia support, there's nothing going on at the moment.

Here's the system summary, FWIW:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DADDY-O
System Manufacturer P4i6G
System Model P4i65G
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2799 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2799 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.00, 3/7/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name DADDY-O\gwc
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 464.96 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 6.90 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

gwpinetree

gwpinetree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here's something interesting: None of the audio drivers are started, and the start mode is manual::

splitter Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter c:\windows\system32\drivers\splitter.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

dmusic Microsoft Kernel DLS Syntheiszer c:\windows\system32\drivers\dmusic.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

drmkaud Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler c:\windows\system32\drivers\drmkaud.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

swmidi Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer c:\windows\system32\drivers\swmidi.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

sysaudio Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device c:\windows\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

kmixer Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer c:\windows\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

gwpinetree

gwpinetree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Possibly related:

Device Manager shows I have multiple copies of some system devices:
Motherboard resources (3 copies)
Plug and Play device Enumerator (2 copies)

What a mess, eh? :-)

Greg