Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copy accounts

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I gave my children my old system (Windows XP Pro). They have been using it for awhile now and have gotten to know where everything is located. They also have alot of games and programs in it that they all use.

So here is deal. I want to now make them all have different user accounts. That much I know how to do. I now have the Admin. account for this system. I would like to copy my acount or profile to each of the kids acounts. Then they can go from there. So this is what I tried Start , Control panel , System , copy profile. But it will not let me copy my acount (admin). I guess I would like to make 3 more user acounts just like the they are using now.

How can copy everything (Pics, Music, Docs, Programs, everything) to a new user?
Without draging folders to the sharded folder.

I hope I didn't confuse everyone..

Advertisements

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
anyone know?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just make new accounts. When you log into each account for the first time, Windows will make new "My Music/Videos/Documents" folders for each of them.

Then it's just a case of you logging into your own account and going into My Computer. From there all of the My Documents for the other accounts appear in there. Just copy the appropriate documents to the appropriate folders.

The programs are system-wide so 95% of them will still appear on the Start Menu for each account.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay thats what I started to do but it was taking a long time to do it. I just thought there would be a fast or better way. Oh well I'll wait.

As for the programs installed only about half are on the other accounts. It looks like I just need to reinstall them on each user from windows explorer (I think).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
You don't need to reinstall them.

Just right-click on the Start Menu when logged into the account that has all the Start Menu shortcuts you need and choose Open. Go into Programs, hold down the CTRL key and single-left click on the folders that are missing from the other user accounts. When done, go to Edit at the top and click on Copy.

Now right-click on the Start Menu again and choose "Open All Users". Go into Programs in there, then go to the Edit Menu again and choose Paste.

The All Users folder is a special folder in Windows which allows you to easily put common items on all Start Menus and desktops without needing to make unique shortcuts for every user.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Oksy Thanks I will do that. Thanks again for your help.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well looks like Im all done. All but one game, The only way the other user can play it is if I have them set with Admin account. Then they can play this game.
I looked in the game setting and such. But I didn't see anything.
One more thing I tried was to install the game from a disk I had to one of the user. Then set them back to limited. Still no change. They can only get in with an admin account. Not with a limited account.
This is a very small puzzle game that I downloaded free from somewhere. So it's not really a big deal. But my kids play it alot. I would like for them to have it.
Is there anyway I can grant them premission (sorry about the spelling) or something?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Set up a separate user account with Admin priviledges and give it a password. Right-click on the shortcut that points to the game in question and there's an option called "Run As". On this screen is an option to allow you to run the game as a certain user. Select the one you want and provide the password.

This method isn't always successful as the majority of programs that have this problem come from a time before the notion of Limited accounts was an idea in Microsoft's eyes.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
That's what I did this afternoon. It worked for me but a little bit of a pain for the kids. I think I will just take uninstall the game and find a new one.

Thanks for all of your time. The kids really think it neet to have their own account and things.