Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked into "Safe Mode"

• Please log in to reply

kwanja

kwanja

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

First, I want to thank you for this forum. I am at wits end and feeling my addiction to my computer being without it.

I am only a computer user, no where near a techie, so please keep this in mind when replying. I use my computer to do my books for my business, play EverQuest, house my genealogy research, keep records for the genealogical society for which I volunteer, and pay online my sales and use taxes to the state, county and city. My computer is a HP Pavilion 533W with Windows XP installed. I have upgraded the ram to 512.

Yesterday, I turned off my computer and when I turned it back on last night, I was shocked. Instead of loading as usual and my doing what I came to do, the screen loaded to the "safe mode" screen which offered about five modes to load. I loaded one after the other in order of their listing, and all it did was bring up the Windows XP screen with the little loading graph at bottom and then would go back to the same "safe mode" screen. I did this over and over and over again. I just felt like crying. It just would not go past the above described cycle. I looked at the tower. On the back of the tower, there is a green light which is lit and green. There are two fans back there, but the top one is not spinning, but the bottom one is spinning.

I do not surf the web or open many emails, so I do not think I have picked up anything like a virus. I go to the same websites and email the same folks over and over. I mainly use my computer to do work for my business and for the genealogical society. I do play EverQuest, but have for about seven ears with no problems before.

I am writing from another computer (other cannot be used). Do you think this problem can be fixed and my work saved? I really am in a fix. Especially when the 20th of the month approaches and I will need to access my sales and use tax files to submit this months work.

Please help if you can.

Thank you kindly for your time and assistance.

Phyllis J. K. Owens

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
If Its HP youshould have a recovery program

it will bring you computer back to the day it was bought

you can find this in all programs

ALL PROGRAM>>PC HELP AND TOOLS>>SYSTEM RECOVERY

NOT RESTORE

you wont lose data but you will have to reactivate programs and update windows

or you try tapping F10 when you start your computer

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i did it with HP a system recovery

i have little green light on in the back of this HP computer

It reminds me power is still plug in outlet

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 September 2006 - 11:44 PM.

kwanja

kwanja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I cannot get past the "safe mode" screen to access anything to do recovery. I placed the recover system disk in and it did nothing...started up and stopped at the"safe mode" screen...then I placed the recover application disk in and it did nothing....started up and stopped at the "safe mode" screen.

All I see when I turn it on is the SM screen, a few seconds of Windows XP loading screen and then SM screen again.

No, I have not turned it on and held the F10 key. I did try the F1, F2 and F8 keys though. But it did the same as above.

Thank you for your reply and helping me.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
PUSH THE POWER ON BUTTON AND IMMEDIATLY START TAPPING NOT HOLDING F10 KEY

kwanja

kwanja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, thank you..going to go try that...BRB. Thank you!!!

kwanja

kwanja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nothing. It would not react to the F10 tap at all. Just the same old recycling back to safe mode.

Any other ideas, please?

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I usually tap F8...not F10...

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have xp cd so you can do a repair

you cant get to recovery or safemode

kwanja

kwanja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the two recovery discs. I tried them. Computer will not go past the "safe mode" offering window. Computer will not recognise the CDs are in there. It does nothing but turn on, flip through about 15 lines of text, go to this safe mode offering window, start up the Windows XP screen with the loading blue bar, then cycle back to the safe mode offering window.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

It does nothing but turn on, flip through about 15 lines of text, go to this safe mode offering window,

when you get to that stage

use up and down arrow key.. on your keyboard to select safemode option

you can try seleting last known good configuration hit enter

if that dont work then start computer again and choose safemode with networking hit enter

other option would be try just safemode hit enter

if any of them work try the system recovery i mentioned earlier

Edited by rushin1nd, 01 October 2006 - 09:21 PM.