Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall program does nothing......

• Please log in to reply

jimmie123

jimmie123

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My comp came packaged with PowerQuest's Drive Image Special Edition (DISE). It was a great idea (at the time) however I find it totally un-necessary now since I have Trend-Micro software which does the same thing. DISE has an "uninstall" program....there are several windows to wade through but the final window asks "Do you want to uninstall DISE". There is a box in which you type "YES". THen there is a warning that the un-install must be done in a DOS environment and that all open programs will be shut-down. This is where the uninstall stops....nothing happens after that. I wanted to free up the disk space that this is taking up. BTW, DISE creates a "D" partition....the uninstall says that the partition will not be removed. Since PowerQuest is out of business now, does anyone know how I can safely get rid of this??

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
powerquest is not out of business. they were aquired by symantec. I've looked around but am having difficulty in finding information. I will keep looking, but the best bet is to contact symantec and see if they can help.

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I tried the Symantic website. Since DISE is pretty old software, there is no support available from them. They won't even put you through on live chat with a Tech to resolve any issues with software that they no longer support. I tried the uninstall program one more time....same issues. It just stops responding and does nothing after you type "YES" in the box asking if you want to uninstall DISE. :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
It's not a large program. you certainly are not going to gain a lot of disk space by uninstalling it. how big is the D partition?

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The partition "D" that DISE uses is 5 GB. Almost all of it is free space.

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry for answering my own reply...."D" partition is large, 5 GB. DISE takes up a tiny part of that, about 25 MB. However, my impression of DISE is that it "reserves" this space for it's own use. This is why I want to remove it. I was able to obtain some non-useful info at the Symantic site. There are some DOS switches that can be used regarding removal, however, it's been many years since I worked in DOS, and prefer not to, since one wrong keystroke can lead to major problems. I've tried several fruitless web searches using phrases like "DISE uninstall" (then I reversed the words), also several other searches, all of them were fruitless.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you tried storing data there? have you gone into drive manager and deleted the partition?

I'll ask some of the other staff if they have experience with this product.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Well, we came up with this:

http://service1.syma...de?OpenDocument

DISE.EXE /DDP may work

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
No luck on the /DDP switch. Went into DOS, tried it several different ways.....