Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasing My Upload Speed [Latency]

• Please log in to reply

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
well i hav a 256 kbps broadband connection....the problem is my upload speed goes up to a max of 10 kb/sec only!....is there a way to increase such speed without altering my connection

Because of such high latency its really a pain to play games lik CS cuz if ur latency is too high u get kicked off the game n the only way to reduce latency is hav a good upload speed

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Uploads speeds are half the download speeds.

Therefore on a 256kb connection, average download speeds are somewhere around 30kb/s on average. Therefore upload speeds will be on average 10-15kb/s. So your figure sounds about right, if slightly on the low side.

It is possible that your internet provider is throttling your upload speeds (which they may be entitled to do - check your Terms & Conditions), or there is temporary problems with the provider.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Don't you mix kilobits (kb) with kilobytes (kB)? 256 Kb equals about 30 KB (8kb=1kB). From that you can understande that you have max download of about 30 KB and about 10 KB for upload, which is normal for the bandwidth of 256 Kb. Usually, when you down/up load you see the speed in KB.

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
no my provider is not throttling my connec n i did heat tht my upload speed shld be half my download speed...so my download speed bein 33.33 kB/sec my upload speed should be arnd 16.66 kB/sec....but all i get is max 10 kB/sec...there must be a way

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The assumption that upload speed is always half of download speed is wrong. My connection, for example, is 1500/128 kilobits (devide it by 8 to calculate kilobyte). Second, you almost never get maximum bandwith due to users' load at ISP and the site you approach. For example, when I try to download a driver from ASUS I consider myself lucky if I get more then 20 KB (160 Kb) which is about a tenth of therotical bandwidth.

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
so u still think tht this behaviour is totally normal n nuthin can b done abt it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes I do. Few years ago I had a connection similar to yours. As far as I remember upload speed was 96 kb/s (12 kB/s). You can always call the technical support of your service provider and ask for the specs.