Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Infinite Restart Loop

• Please log in to reply

Nickyg2006

Nickyg2006

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've searched this site looking for related topics, or the same problem and I haven't found it yet. Hope my problem can stump you guys.

First, I'm missing my XP Home CD and a friend lent me his corporate ed. of XP Pro a while back.. I have to get it back from him. (I talk about it later in this post)

Second, background on the program I downloaded after the SP2 upgrade, its called truepoker, its a poker game you download and play on the net. I've downloaded it several times and had no problems.

So, I upgrade to SP2 finally, get all the security in gear, and I go to download this program. It installs fully and the install-wizard tells me to restart my computer, so I do. Then that's where it stopped. All it does now is go to the Windows XP Pro load screen, and then restart again, and again, and again.

I've gone into BIOS and set all my drives to auto, set read from CD to run first, and checked my drives as well. I've also tried going into all the different versions of Safe-Mode..no go there.

I think the program messed up some core Windows files, but I'm not sure.

Since I can't into my OS, I'm thinking of using my other computer, that's on the network with the down one, getting a DOS prompt, and formatting from there, hopefully fixing the problem. But the thing is, I don't want to do that, I want to save some things first.

My next solution is to get the XP Pro CD from a friend and doing a system restore from there, and then formatting after I save my stuff.

I need to know if there is an alternate method other than what I've outlined. If not, do I need the same CD of the original XP Pro CD to do the system restore, or just the CD?

And if I can't do that, can anyone help me with the DOS prompt that I can put on a floppy or CD to format my computer through DOS?

This has been an ongoing problem, I've talked to several friends and tried e-mailing Microsoft and Dell... No help there. Any help or enlightenment is greatly appreciated. :tazz: Thanks.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you don't have any XP disc but you do have another computer the 1st thing I would do is take my XP drive out and make it a slave drive
on the other computer then I would transfer all the files needed to that computer. Then reinstall the drive back into the other computer.
Can you get to the XP restore point?. From hereyou might need help from any one who wants to jump in. I have not put XP on yet and only
Know some basics from helping others.
Cheers
Peterm

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I think peterm has a good idea. take the drive out, slave it into another computer and at least get your data. if you don't have a cd of XP PRO, and you can't get into safe mode, your options are somewhat limited. If you can get the CD from you buddy, pop it in to the CD Rom when you boot and, assuming the CD Rom is bootable, and is set to boot before the HDD, you should see a prompt that says "press any key to enter setup". Hit any key and run through the setup options. You'll come to the point that will allow you to select the Restore Option. From here, I'll have to admit it get's a little fuzzy for me. I've only had to do it once and it was a while ago. Though I'm sure someone else here is well versed in the Restore process. That's the beauty of this site!!
Good luck,
Jason

Nickyg2006

Nickyg2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I never thought of the slave drive. That would be an excellent option... I've only installed a Power supply to my computer, not another drive. But it sounds plausible. I'll have to talk to my friends about that.

Thanks for the tip guys, I really appreciate it.

I just hope its my OS that's broken, not my HD or anything else that's important. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just out of curiousity, does your computer boot into safe mode?