Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 98 ona new xsp laptop

• Please log in to reply

hotboxdp

hotboxdp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i bought a new toshiba laptop to replace my old one. I have an expensive program that can not run under xp. I used partition magic to create a new fat32 partition and installed 98. when the computer goes to reboot and start 98 for the first time it hangs on that splash screen. How can i get 98 to work on this new laptop? Or, can 98 work on a new laptop at all?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I can think of all kinds of driver issues that could arise. Have you considered Virtual Machine? VMware isn't cheap but it does work well. I'm not sure if Microsoft still has a free version of Virtual PC available but it's worth looking at.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hotboxdp...

You might also check to see if the program will run under Windows XP using the Compatability Mode feature. This will allow many older programs to run.

wannabe1

hotboxdp

hotboxdp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The first thing I tried was compatability mode, easiest thing first. What drivers do you think I should try?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi hotboxdp,

You can try looking at the Dell site and see if they offer drivers for 98 and your lap top. They should have whatever is available, if any.