Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From Me to XP: Where'd it go?

• Please log in to reply

Jeep 396

Jeep 396

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This isn't a major issue, but when my machine was Windows Me in the Themes I had access to the Mystery.scr as part of the Mystery theme. My family thought it was cool: Haunted house, moving full moon, hooting owls, creaky doors and boards. Now, after what I believe to be an extremely smooth upgrade I can't seem to get all the things that were here to still work or function; especially as we approach Halloween, I want to use the Mystery Screensaver, and it's... it's... GONE! :blink:

Ideas and help are graciously welcome! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you have Plus for ME or just Plus ...i had Plus for xp...but i don't recall if there were different versions...i can't find the info on the Plus site either ( http://www.microsoft...us/PlusHome.asp ) you may need to try to reinstall Plus! or if you can still find the packaging..see if it says "for ME only" or something to that effect...

Jeep 396

Jeep 396

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was Plus!, but was included with the Me version. I had the same problem @ the Me site too... It seemed like they want me to purchase software I'm already licensed for under the older version of Windows. Wouldn't that transfer?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
technically no if there are actually different versions....if there was an ME specific version (probably was) then it won't work with xp...as with m ost things designed for ME

Jeep 396

Jeep 396

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After looking hard, I discovered Mystery.scr was still in my machine! The XP install renamed it mystery.scr.disabled and stored it in c:\windows\system\ of all places.

I copied it to the system32 folder, renamed it, (removed the .disabled tag), and it was then readable in my properties menu. But, when I select it, I only get a blank screen. Is there a remedy?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's probablly a reason why XP disabled it...if it's not a compatable screen saver...it won't work...as i said before....the version of Plus! for ME MAY not be compatible with XP...you may have to shell out the 14bucks for the new version

Jeep 396

Jeep 396

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, you're right! Y'a can't say I didn't try though... I guess I'm just cheap. :whistling: