Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Assistance Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi guys, for some reason I can no longer help people through remote assistance! I used to, but since I installed my network some time ago, I guess it stopped... I unblocked ports 3384 - 3390 on my Netgear Wireless router, and just for testing reasons, I'm trying to connect to my other computer on the network over this remote assistance, but it won't work. I'm using the old computer to send the invitation, but for some reason they won't connect... I can't seem to connect with other people either which I used to... I'm using Windows XP Home, and I have ZoneAlarm Free installed (never caused a problem before) as well as AVG Free and SpySweeper. If anyone has an idea why this is happening, please let me know. Thanks! :whistling:

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by Stormknight6, 02 October 2006 - 12:22 PM.

Advertisements

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi there, I was thinking of setting remote assistant too and I have a netgear.... In port forwarding is the server IP address the same IP as what the assigned by the DHCP (Start - run - ipconfig to see addy), I also notice that you mentioned you was testing on the home network, in my netgear router you can only assign one IP addy to the port therefore im thinking towards that both machines on the network could not share the port ?? .. just a couple of other thoughts if you can rule out the router, have you tried knocking both firewalls out to see if it works then, can you turn off NAT on the netgear ( I know you cant on all models) would other software interfere do you think - I wouldnt think avcg would but ive never used spysweeper - could it poss treating it as a threat ? Let me know how you go on and if you solve this :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You're probably right on the port sharing thing, so maybe it won't work on both, but it won't work for a lot of other people either which is what I'm concerned over. Also, yes, it's assigned to the right IP. I've tried taking off all the security software and it still has trouble. I'll keep posting if any progress is made.