Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stopsign's going nuts...

• Please log in to reply

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm in the process of running a scan with StopSign and it's coming up with messages I've never seen before. It can't read from various files - some apparently are password protected, but others it give no reason for. It said it couldn't scan

c:/all documents and settings/networkservices nt authority/nt.user.dat.log

I ran a search of both visible and hidden files - there's NO such folder as network services nt authority or just plan network services. It also says it can't read system32/config/system.log and destroy/recovery/winsoftwarewinantiviruspro.zip. There were other files it couldn't scan and I'm totally bewildered. Could anyone help me or do I need to provide more information?

Thanx!

GEEKS TO GO ROCKS!

Laurie

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if stop sign program is not doing you any good then maybe you shouldnt be scanning with it disable it

i would recommend removing it from add/remove programs

just exactly why you need stop sign program maybe one can be found that would be 100% better

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Actually, I've been very pleased with Stopsign up to this point. It's gotten rid of several trojans. I'm also running XsoftSpy and AVG Pro (though, not at the same time). I put Xsoft through its paces after Stopsign was done and it found some spyware, but didn't report anything it couldn't scan. So I'm still confused....

Thanks for the input! :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if its like that

stop sign is corrupt

i had stop sin but was removed by pros its up to you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi zowiemagic...

The files that failed to scan are probably locked swap files and this is normal. The chances of these files being infected is quite small.

For the zip files, some scanners have problems scanning zipped folders. You can try scanning the folder by itself, or extract the files and then scan the extracted files.

wannabe1

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks... But Stopsign's telling me that it can't open a folder within c:\documents and settings called network service nt authority, and I've searched all files, both visible and hidden, on C and there's no such folder, not even one just called network service. Are there files on the computer that are even more hidden than the hidden ones you can make visible? (Hope that made sense...)

Thanks!

Laurie