Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16 bit windows subsystem message

• Please log in to reply

bookmaker

bookmaker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a problem when I try to use some older applications on CDs - the problem started a couple of years ago when I got a new PC

I get the following error message:

16 bit windows subsystem message
C:\windows\system32\AUTOEXEC.NT
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications

This is annoying as I want to access some of the software from these CDs including drivers.

Is there anyway of getting my PC to work with these CDs?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you describe/list some of the applications? as well as what drivers you'd be needing off of these disks? one would assume that if these are old drivers that they probably aren't compatible with XP

bookmaker

bookmaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This problem occurs often with CDs from magazines which are supposed to autorun.

It also occurs when I try to directly run the *.exe files.

This means that a lot of old software which I still would like to use will not work on my PC.

It also affects some CDs with drivers - for example the hp CD that came with my 940c deskjet printer will not work

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's a probability that the programs on these disks aren't compatable with xp....it's very likely

there's also a probability that your printer is not supported either (or at least the drivers that are on that cd) you may want to go to the hp website and see if you can find your printer and see if they have xp drivers for it

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try THIS FIX and see if it helps at all !!

Murray

bookmaker

bookmaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That fix worked perfectly - thanks a million Murray - my old CDs and drivers now work