Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ewido VS Spybot

• Please log in to reply

Seth_

Seth_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

On another web site, someone posted that they were disinfecting a computer and Ewido only found tracking cookies, but Spybot pulled out 20 "bad guys". The user also claimed that Spybot "blows away" Ewido.

I will refrain from posting my opinion on this, but I would like some opinions on those comments.

Thank you.

Edited by Seth_, 03 October 2006 - 11:50 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, as a malware helper here, I know that ewido is used frequently, both as a standalone product and in conjunction with some specialized tools for specific infections. While no scanner seems to be perfect, and we do recommend Spybot for preliminary clean up, ewido seems to be used much more frequently.

thakid

thakid

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
while I agree that spybot seems to be better I think these two anti spyware programs and best used together it at least it seems that way also it is no longer ewido it is now avg anti spyware not a big deal just thought I would bring it up to adviod confussion of the new members

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I would be very interested to see who "someone" is and what his qualifications are. I would also like to see which "bad guys" were removed by spybot and ignored by ewido.

Such vague claims and anonymous resources do not bode well for you establishing any kind of credibility amongst this community.

Spybot is still a great program and since it is still produced and updated for free they definately deserve our respect and gratitude.

That being said, in my years of doing this, I have seen ewido detect and remove many infections that Spybot didnt/couldnt touch.

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
No spyware product is perfect. If you use the right combination of such and such spyware protectors and preventors, you will get the best protection for you because some programs complete each other.

If I had to choose between Ewido or Spybot S&D NOT considering the money cost to use Ewido, I would definetly use Ewido. However, keep in mind that Ewido wouldn't be the only thing that I will be using. I will probably also be using Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, and a spyware blocker or two.

Ewido has taken care of a lot of malware off my computer. I used it on a thirty day trial basis, but I'm pretty sure it was worth it. It got rid of viruses, spyware, and its spyware 'wall' was VERY useful.