Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

usafguy00

usafguy00

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
What buttons do I press to make my computer back to how it was when I originally bought it? It doesn't seem Im gonna get answers the the problem I had facing my computer. Thanks.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
that depends on your computer if its an hp it has a system recovery that can be found in all programs under pc help and tools

or go to all programs and choose accessries and system tools then system restore

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
But i do think that in system restore you must havea restore point set already (right?).

Edited by Mr.Chow, 03 October 2006 - 02:54 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows make restore points on its own as you use the computer - every 24hrs and again every 10hrs of actual use, plus other ones that are made if you install programs with the Windows installer (and others) which set their own restore points automatically.

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes I have a restore point, but I cant get Windows to start up. It will go to the start screen and show F1 or F10 but then nothing happens after I press the buttons.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try tapping F8

when you start-up

just what kind of reinstall is it that you want to do

repair or reformat

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
reformat.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
How to Reformat a Windows XP Hard Drive

Step-by-Step
Nonsense, anyone can reformat their own computer. You will only need a few things.

Windows XP Recovery Console CD
Windows XP Serial Number
Administrative Passwords (If you have set any)
Cup of coffee
Alright, lets get started shall we? Follow these step by step instructions on how to reformat your windows XP hard drive!

Step 1) Reboot your computer.

Step 2) You need to go into your BIOS to change the boot sequence. Make sure that CD ROM Drive is first. (The BIOS is found in setup)

Step 3) Now put your "Windows XP Recovery Console CD" into the CD ROM Drive. Reboot your computer again.

Step 4) Now when your computer is booting up look for a message similar to: "To boot from CD ROM Drive press any key" As soon as you see this message, press any key.

Step 5) As soon as the setup screen has appeard. You will want to press R to repare.

Step 6) Now you will want to type: C:\> format C:

Step 7) It will ask you if you are sure you wish to do this. Take note, that as soon as you type "Y" your entire computer will be cleared of EVERYTHING!

Step 8) This process may take several minutes. But as soon as it says 100% Complete the reformatation has been completed.

Step 9) Now, reboot your computer. And press any key when it says: "To boot from CD ROM Drive press any key"

Step 10) Alright, now we want to re-install our Windows XP. So hit enter at the the setup screen.

Step 11) Alright, now follow all the on screen instructions for installing windows XP. As soon as this is completed, you are done with the reformatation and your computer should be running as if it were new again.

YOUR DONE!

Edited by rushin1nd, 03 October 2006 - 04:28 PM.