Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing/corrupt; c:\windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

winabi

winabi

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I've been plagued with this same error time and time again... even after reformatting.

I'll get the missing/corrupt error message with_
c:\windows\system32\config\system

I've found that it's a system hive error or something like that and have fixed it by replacing the system file with the one from the repair directory, then restoring to an earlier time using system restore.

My question is this: What causes this error and how can it be prevented?

Another question I have is in my research online about fixing this problem I've come across people who've said that using ChkDsk can cause further damage b/c it takes the bad files, renames them and places them in a folder on the boot drive which some how makes the computer unable to boot.

Is there a program out there better than Windows' ChkDsk? Also, what about a BART CD?

I've considered buying a new hard drive but have seen people do that before without it fixing the problem. Am I right to assume that there isn't one specific thing that causes this unfortunate error?

Advertisements