Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 6.00 and MacAfee Security Centre

• Please log in to reply

Dodders

Dodders

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Could someone please advise on my problems.
I am running XP Sp2 with IE 6 and Firefox as my browsers. I am using McAfee firewall and Virusscan for protection along with Ewido and Webroot Spy Sweeper.
When I try to run IE it will find a website but on trying to access another page on that site the programme crashes and I have to use Task Manager to close it.
McAfee will not load Security centre at computer boot up and gives me a pop up asking me to reinstall Security Centre. At the same time Viruscan pops up to say some components of active shield have not been loaded. These pop ups continue to appear and are beginning to drive me nuts.
I have used a clean up from McAfee twice, but on both occasions the computer needed several attempts to start. I have also reloaded the programme several times.
As I type this when a popup appears the typing goes haywire for a few seconds.
Can someone please help. I can post an HJT if required.
Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
please post a hijackthis log. I have several suggestions but need to rule out malware issues.

Dodders

Dodders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks very much for replying Starjax. I have had a poke about and found that the anti-phising filter was blocking Internet Explorer, but McAfee was still not working , so I replaced it with my back up and now it seems to be doing its job. I would be very grateful though if you would look at the HJT below to check it out. I see it shows Spy Sweeper as a running process when it is in fact disabled for computer start and at the time of the HJT I had not run it.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

HJT log removed

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I am not seeing anything that jumps out at me. I will ask for one of our resident malware experts to take a look.

Dodders

Dodders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for all your time and trouble.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Our best advice is to completely uninstall mcaffee.

we recomend AVG for the antivirus
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Kerio personal firewall:
http://www.sunbelt-s...io-Download.cfm

That will provide you with good protection where as you currently are getting none.

Webroot: you can't completely disable the product. Disabling as you have done only disables some of the active protection. This is so that some of the nast viri can't disable it like they can with some of the other anti virus applications (norton,mcaffee)

Dodders

Dodders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Starjax, I'll install your recommendations as soon as I can.

All you guys do a wonderful job.