Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant remove mediaaccK.exe[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

panaceabeachbum

panaceabeachbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
placed the hard drive in a host machine, avg found 6 infected files and stated they were repaired. Pulled off needed files and burned to cd Thank You.

Still cant get the machine to boot from cd (or at all), have tryed 3 dif cd drives, all of which test as working in another machine , no luck. Installed a new hard drive I had laying around still cant get machine to do anything other than run memory tst then shutdown. Reset cmos with batt out no change. Manual for mother board (asus p4s8l) states bios can be flashed from floppy. Small bookshelf system, no floppy present , no connection for one on motherboard either. Manual states second ide device can be attached via second ide slot, second slot not present on board. i am really at a loss for what to do te restore my system, less than a year old and to expensive to toss.

Advertisements

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'll do some more research on the motherboard you have to see what I can come up with. I'll be back online after 8:00 pm tonight EST. Hopefully have something for you.

Thanks

Webxican

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I've been looking over the mother board manual. This one is a brain buster. I found something similar on another support forum for HP. It deals with a laptop. I think what the user did was try to boot without the battery which generated an error then they added the hard drive before an automatic re-boot. I don't know if it will remotely help in this situation. But here is the link just in case.

http://forums1.itrc....threadId=835342

I don't know if in the Bios you have a setting that stops or halts the system on all errors except the keyboard. You could try to change that to no halt on any errors. I wish I had my hands on the mother board to try some things. I hate to give up on any problem.

You could try these few things and see what you come up with. I'll still research and see what I can find. I use Post equipment (like a card that connects to the PCI slot to generate any post errors). I also use a CD rom or USB equipment to see what else may be going on. I know that doesn't help you much but that's why I wish I had a similar board with the same problems.

I'll write back if I find anything new. Post anything else you might find if you try any of the above stuff.

What devices do you have attached to the Motherboard? The PCI slot for instance?

Well i'll write back when I find anything else.

Thanks

Webxican

panaceabeachbum

panaceabeachbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
here is the model computer I have, not sure if that helps at all

ASUS Pundit AB-P2600, at www.asus.com

Currently nothing is plugged into the mboard other than 1 IDE cable(only one slot), memory card, cpu, power supply and mouse/keyboard. I did disable the halt on errors box in bios no change. I also selected boot from external hard drive with a removable plugged into usb, still cant get any further than the memory test. Thanks

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I'm at work now so I have a good solid 12 hours to see if I can come up with something helpful.

Thanks

Webxican

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello,

Well after searching I came across this thread. I'm not sure how much of this would apply. Users were not having the exact same problem but it looked similar enough to offer some help.

http://www.hardwarea...ent/topic/3389/

Hopefully something in this thread will be useful. You'll have to read the whole thread to see what other users had done to help resolve their issue.

Thanks

Webxican

Fendann

Fendann

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry if I'm butting my nose in....Saw the thread and thought I'd suggest something that I've experienced in the past.

If the computer shuts itself off, I would think that it would be a heat or power issue.

If you go into the BIOS, there should be "PC Health Status", or something like that. It may be labeled anywhere from "health", to "status", or even under a "warning" or "voltage" setting....At any rate, it should have the current and automatic shut-down temperatures for the motherboard. If you can get to that, just watch the temp to see if it rises at all while you're there. It shouldn't move more than 3-5 degrees C while idle in BIOS. Leave it there for about 15 minutes. If it turns off, I would suggest replacing the fan/heatsink/processor.

If everything there is ok, you may want to try a different power supply to see if that allows the computer to boot at all.

I had the same style computer, and I know how odd the power supply's size was, but it's worth a shot.

panaceabeachbum

panaceabeachbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thank you for the suggestion. I have let it run in bios for aprox 10 min no change doesnt shut down . All this started with a virus, avg identified as a trojan virus(?) . Tryed to remove with add/remove utility at this point machine just kept cycling with out ever staring windows. Contacted the motherboard manufacturer, they seem to think the dmi pool has been corupted and I should flash the bios, although no one at ASUS has any idea how I go about this with my paticular machine. Main board has a single ide connector for hard drive and no provission for floppy. Bios chip is soldered on board. Tech dept says it cant be done via cd, only with floppy, upon asking where I attach this floppy drive I am told this mother board does not support a floppy drive and they will be back in touch with a fix. 1 week no answer, wont reply to my email.

ssaamm

ssaamm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello , i've read this thread and here are a few suggestions.

1- make sure the mouse and keyboard are plugged in correctly, i.e. no missing or broken pins.

2- open the cpu case and see if there is a card loose, e.g. modem, tv, sound. and especially make sure that the memory chips card is not loose and give it a push then try the pc.

i remember having a similar problem when the computer hangs at the memory test and sometimes the monitor fixes on standby and then nothing can be displayed. then i found out the n\memory chip card was loose and gave a firm push to replant it in its slot on the mother board ands voila , happend more than once.

3- i read above about the processor overheating and that happens when you leave the computer on for a long time and at the same time the fans are jammed by a loose wire or otherwise not working and the room is'nt cool enough. what i do is kep the side cover open exposing the computer's guts and bring a 0.5 meter room fan close by and let it face the guts and keep blowing as long as the computer is on.

ok thanks for your time and let me know what happens.

Fendann

Fendann

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When you look at the boot sequence in the BIOS, does it have an option for a USB floppy? That's only about $35, and it will be a LOT easier than getting ASUS to RMA the board for you.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
To all involved in this thread.

I would like to take a minute to remind everyone that if you are not a member of the Geeks To Go Staff, you should not be replying to threads in the Malware Removal forum.

Should any of you be interested in Joining the GTG Staff and learning how to properly remove malware, sign up for Geek U here.

Those who continue to post to threads in the Malware Removal Forum without being trained and given the Ok could recieve a mandatory vacation from the Geeks to Go forum.

panaceabeachbum

Please post a fresh HiJackThis log here with an explanation of your problem and wait for someone with a Staff graphic like mine to be along to help you out. Taking advice from untrained members is not a good idea.

ScHwErV :tazz:

panaceabeachbum

panaceabeachbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have ordered a usb floppy in hopes of bieng able to boot from it, advice from manufacturer suggest this is the route to at least get the machine running. At that point I will run all the recomended spyware removal software then create a hjt log to post here. All the machines on the network are having problems so there is plenty to do while I wait on the usb drive. Thanks to all and i will post when I get the machine to boot. Richard

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
panaceabeachbum

Is your issue now a hardware related one, or still malware related. If it is hardware related, I can move this thread to the hardware forum where the hardware gurus hang out.

ScHwErV :tazz:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.