Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear re-installation not taking

• Please log in to reply

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have re-installed Windows XP on my home computer. Obviously I've had to re-install all my programs and peripherals.

I've tried to re-install the software for my Netgear WG311 wireless adapter. I've run the Netgear CD to "install driver and utility". According to the directions, the "found new hardware wizard" icon is supposed to pop up on the screen. This does not happen even after I've turned off the computer and disconnected the power cord.

I've tried the "wireless network setup wizard"-it does not recognize or see any wireless connection.
Also, the network connections does not show any wireless hardware.

This wireless network has worked very well previously.

Any help would be appreciated.
thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Or

Right click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply-if I'm slow it's because I'm running between two computers at the house.

Yes, there are 2 Yellow ?'s
1. Network controller
2. Video controller (VGA compatable)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
OK...The yellow ? by the network controller means that you're missing a driver for your NIC card
and the one near the video controller means you're missing the one for your video card

so assuming that your router connects to your computer via ethernet...that would explain why you're not getting the new hardware wizzard...because as far as the computer is concerned...there's no router

there is also the chance that the network card mentioned is actually your wireless card...and the new hardware wizard isn't showing up because you're not ACTUALLY plugged into the router (that config cd you have for the router is so taht you can setup the router...you can only set up the router while connected to it via ethernet)

so to find out what we're looking at...in device manager look for "network adapters" and expand that...what do you see?

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
There is no "network adapter" in the device manager folder.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have any of the driver's disks for the computer? is this a name brand pc? or custom built?

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Dell-an older model with a 500mhz chip. It works fine though.
It was our original PC-my friend installed the wireless adapter when we bought a new PC and moved the old one downstairs. The wireless network worked fine until I tried to install Windows SP2. Then the wireless network did not work and I could not get functioning again. I tried to uninstall SP2 (yea, dumbass move) and it blew up the OS. So I re-installed XP and here we are.

I have the Netgear software installation disc. I've run it and it seems to install the software to run the wireless adapter..but obviously not..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it an internal wireless adapter or external?

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Internal with an antenna.

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, are you still there?
I've got to run out in about an hour.

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Are you going to continue helping me on this topic?
Thank you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when y ou reinstalled xp have you tried to put sp2 back yet?

rickd1956

rickd1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, I don't have an internet connection so I cannot download any Windows updates.