Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Windows Explorer be removed from 98 SE?

• Please log in to reply

Yavo Lem

Yavo Lem

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I know I shouldn't ask, but Windows Explorer (under 98 SE) has become a source of great frustration. I don't use IE 5, but I HAVE to use Windows Explorer, which I understand is somehow tightly bound with IE. It would be so simple, I think, to just get rid of (or abandon) them, in the same manner Microsoft abandoned Windows 98 users on July 11, 2006.

I've tried using Mandrake Linux and Red Hat Linux, but neither of them were very easy to use, and, frankly, left a lot to be desired, like being able to use my Windows data in Linux applications. That was a year or two ago, and I have since gone back to Windows 98 SE since I didn't want to have to redo all my work, and for a while everything was OK, BUT for the past 6-8 weeks it has become the operating system from [bleep] (I see management has censored the word I used), so I'll just rephrase it as the operating system from HECK. Is it possible that the source of all these problems is (dare I mention the name of that might muscled giant software company)?? I know it is far-fetched, but it would be a good way to stimulate interest in, and sales of, new operating systems, thereby generating revenue... BTW, why did Mr. Gates leave? Does he know something we should know? :whistling: "I know nothing..."

OK, I am really mad, but seriously, if there is a way of keeping Window 98 SE without EXPLORER, I sure would like to know how to do it. Failing that, is there some way of obtaining updates for Windows 98 SE, since I can no longer use the "Update" site, because I have an OEM supplied OS. :blink:

YL

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Microsoft did not "abandon Windows 98 users on July 11, 2006". The original date was June 30th 2006 and the announcement was made back in late 2004.

Anyway, the Windows Update site still works for 98SE users, but is known to break under Internet Explorer 5. Therefore update to Internet Explorer 6 before attempting Windows Updates on this version of Windows. The fact that its's OEM makes no difference.

Windows Explorer and "Explorer" are the same thing. If you don't have Explorer running, you don't have Windows. This process is what drives the desktop items and the Start Menu, therefore no Explorer = No Windows. It may be worth running Windows Setup over itself from within Windows. This is equivalent to a "repair" option you'd find under XP.

Yavo Lem

Yavo Lem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Mr. Jones,

This is the response I got from Microsoft Corporation on Sept. 20, 2006, after their Update site refused to update my computer, and this was after I downloaded their Genuine Check Validation program only to receive a rejection message, which when I clicked on the reply button went nowhere. Please note the section I highligted:

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

I apologize for the delay in our response to your issue. Due to an increase in requests, our response time is longer than usual. I appreciate your patience in this regard

I understand from your message that you receive error in Windows 98 based computer. I realize the importance of the issue.

For Microsoft to deliver the highest quality of support possible, it is necessary to expire support for discontinued products and apply those resources to support the latest developments and technologies from Microsoft. Assisted support is no longer available for Windows 98.

However, Microsoft offers no-charge self-help support options through Knowledge base articles, FAQs, and Newsgroups for Windows 98. You can go through to them to find a resolution for your issue, at the following pages:
http://support.microsoft.com/
http://support.micro...m/gp/lifepolicy
http://support.micro...N...mp;x=15&y=9

If you would like more information about the retirement of warranty support for our retail products, please visit our Product Support Lifecycle list located at the following Web site:
http://support.micro...en-us;lifecycle
http://www.microsoft...dofsupport.mspx

Also, if you are interested in product or upgrade information, you can call the Microsoft Sales and Information Team at (800) 426-9400. They are available Monday through Friday, 6:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. Pacific Time or visit the following page:

http://www.microsoft...log/default.asp

Kenneth, I hope the above information is helpful.

Thank you for using Microsoft products and service

Sailesh

Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please e-mail my manager, Shirley Oommen Mookodil, at [email protected]

=====================================================================

The next day, I wrote to Ms. Mookodil and to date have not had the courtesy of a response. Taken together, that is abandonment.

Lest you think I am just a complainer, I searched the Knowledge base and tried a few suggestions, to no avail. I also waded through the Newsgroup, again to no avail.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I am not going to go back to an empty well looking for water. What I need is someone who can address the problem I am having. Hopefully, this site is not an empty well.

YL

P.S. - I wouldn't say anything if I had just started using Microsoft products with Windows 98 SE, but I have gone through MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and quite a few years of 98 SE. I feel that give my long term loyalty, even to the extent of using Windows in a dual boot system with my experimenting with Linux, I have the right to expect better "service" from Microsoft. What they are basically saying is, "OK, there is the haystack. Go look for the needle." I got better service when I took my old VWs in for repair, and when they came out, they ran.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, the "Genuine Check Validation" thing isn't for Windows 98. Any downloads that you get from Microsoft that mean you have to jump through this usually means that the download won't work on Win98 anyway.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well there are some options....you can switch to using progman ( program manager ) instead of explorer or you might even be able to get a different gui ( like kde) to run but none of that will give you the same feel and usability of explorer..... Also you can use a program called 98lite but wether that can get rid of explorer... not sure... explorer is very integrated into windows.... You'd be better off doing a clean install of windows ( after backing up your data ) and you can use windows update as neil said with windows98 oem.... I do it all the time with customers that come in for wipe and restores.... ( we have a lot of people around here still using 98 ) they just aren't adding any new updates.... oh as neil said as well you do need to install ie6 first on windows 98 in order to use the update site... As far as linux you might want to give it another try..... depending on what ms data you need to use there are many things you can do with linux to use some files...... I would recommend trying out some "livecd/dvd" as that allows you to test if you like the distribution without having to install it on your computer.... though just as a note it does run much slower that way....

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Linux is a popular choice for many people. It takes some time to get used to the feel of Linux especially if you have switched from Windows. I would advise you so use a Live CD as Shard92 said. You can get some good free places that send them worldwide from a google search :whistling:

~Matt