Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP: Game restarts my PC on launch.

• Please log in to reply

Limp N00dle

Limp N00dle

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I bought the game Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (GRAW). It played it fine and at the time

I had a GeForce 4 MX400 which was way below the requiremtns. I installed the patch for the

game (graw_1.30_mp_pack_3), that is a patch and map pack. When I started the game it quickly

just restarted my PC. I was advized I might need new video card. I went and got the Radeon

x1300 Pro. According to system requirements I am above the standards.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com

I uninstalled everything. Patch, GRAW, Old video card and drivers. Restarted the computer.

Installed the new video card. Updated to latest drivers (V 8.291.0.0). Restart. Installed

GRAW. Now at this point the day before GRAW ran, it was only until I ran the patch it didn't

work the first time around. It would not even work at this point! It still restarted my PC

on game launch. I installed the patch just to see what would happen, and restart happened

when I launched that too.

Here is an error code I get when my computer finishes loading after the sudden restart.
----
BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 0000000D BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1
C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa6fc.dir00\Mini100406-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa6fc.dir00\sysdata.xml
----

I also turned off "Restart on Error" in my windows settings to get this stop error code via

blue screen.

0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x83d0d00d, 0xa7249b4c, 0x00000000)

The video card has a little toggle switch on it. NTSC or PAL. It was default set on NTSC and

I haven't changed it. Not sure what this means but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi Limp N00dle and welcome to G2G!

0x0000008E is a stop message that normally appears when you have a hardware compatibility problem.

Try updating your graphics card drivers and chipset drivers.
Also try updating your BIOS.

Limp N00dle

Limp N00dle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanx, how would I do that?

Posted Image

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Chipset and graphics card drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.
I've noticed from the your pic that your sound card drivers aren't correctly installed, either reinstall them from the CD or download them from the manufacturers website.

Your BIOS can be updated by downloading from the manufacturers website as well. The website should have full instructions on how to do this.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 09 October 2006 - 11:54 AM.

Limp N00dle

Limp N00dle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The oddest thing. It works now and I did nothing to make it happen. Thanx for the help but it just launched. So far 4 times in a row no problems.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I'm glad that it now works but I would still recommend updating your hardware drivers.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Just a tip.
Only update your BIOS if your hardware, such as processors and videocards aren't accepted by the BIOS.

Don't update BIOS for just a game, unless you tried everything else.
It's too risky, because if ANYTHING in the update process goes wrong, most of the time, you will have to do drastic things to make your pc work again.

A wrong BIOS update has a high chance of making your pc useless.

You got a CD-rom from the manufacturer, I hope?
Well, install everything on the CD, except the utilities. They aren't needed for games at all.

Just a question:
Is your 1300 Pro a PCI-e edition?
If so, does it need an extra cable from the powersupply to get enough power?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Certain motherboards can have compatibility problems with certain hardware and not just because there not supported.
BIOS updating isn't that risky if you read the manufacturers instructions and follow them correctly. BIOS updating used to be a nightmare but nowadays it alot easier, some manufacturers use BIOS updates that run via Windows.

As for drivers the ones of the CD are going to be out of date so it's always better to download them.

Limp N00dle

Limp N00dle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I still had trouble finding the right chipset and sound card drivers. I thought I had the right sound card driver downloaded and I installed it. Then my soundcard wouldn't work so I rolled it back. I would like to get this driver working but can't find the right one, even after using the simple menu on manufacture website.

This is what I have now.
Driver date: 12/8/05
Driver version: 5.12.8.1164

Those red X's do not mean my drivers are bad. It was a website that just said there are newer ones out there. If I paid $20 it would update to the newest, but I do have all drivers installed just some outdated. I have tried for hours and still arent sure on the drivers so I think doing nothing is my option for that. I don't want to mess anythign up now that it works.

I have a 450w power supply and I believe that is more than sufficent. The new video card is AGP but does have an extra input for power.

Edited by Limp N00dle, 12 October 2006 - 09:18 AM.

Limp N00dle

Limp N00dle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Something I should mention. Think when you start your PC (if you have Win). Bottom right has an Intel logo right before it loads windows with a bar of green or blue as a loading icon. The Intel logo and windows logo look tye dye, the colors are way off and swirled with different colors. Not sure what that is about.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The Audigy 2 drivers can be downloaded from www.creative.com.
The ATI drivers can be downloaded from www.ati.com.
Your chipset drivers can be downloaded from www.intel.com and if you don't know your chipset use the Intel Chipset Identification utility.

I already figure about the website and about the money they'd probably charge. The reason for updating your sound card drivers it that there's an unknown device called multimedia controller which is something to do with your sound card. It could be that it's only the joystick port but incorrectly installed drivers can caused lots of headaches.

You say that the card has a 4 pin power connection on it, have you connected it?

Limp N00dle

Limp N00dle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Last time I went to creative.com and downloaded a driver I installed it. Then on restart my PC had no sound and an error message came up saying incorrect driver. I looked it up through the model number on the card, SB0240. So I went with the newest driver for SB0240 (not beta) for the Audigy 2 it came up with. Then after no sound and error message I rolled it back.
http://us.creative.c...B_2_09_0016.exe

My video card driver is up to date.

The chipset driver is being a pain also. The utility program failed to identify. When I look through deivce manager I'm not sure what I'm looking for and where I find the chipset #.
Posted Image

The Unknown Multimedia Device is in PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 3, device 6, function 0). Thats jibberish to me, not sure it if helps you. On the Dell help forums I have been reading a lot of people saying it is intergrated audio and not the sound card. Everyone said the driver is not in the CD Dell provides. Everyone says just to disable intergrated onboard sound in BIOS. I wouldn't know how to do this, what it would change that I would notice or if there are any negative effects. I'm positive this is the fix but not sure what to do about it.
http://forums.us.del...e...true&page=1

Yes the 4 pin power is connected to the video card. Could that be the reason for the odd color problem on system start?

Thank for all the help, really.

Edited by Limp N00dle, 11 October 2006 - 05:47 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Try updating your drivers from the Dell support site.

The 4 pin connector should be plugged in this gives the card the extra power it needs. As for the odd colour problem on system start that could be a sign of a faulty card.

What Dell model is your PC?

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
After reading your new error, about those weird colors, I too beleive your card is either damaged or not getting enough power.

<off topic>
I tested the link you posted, http://www.systemrequirementslab.com, and I found out that it has a lot of false data in it, regarding the videocard parts. I tested the program using a school computer.

I was testing it with these specs:

HyperThreading Intel 3 Ghz processor (Intel P4)
510 MB ram
Radeon X300 SE 256 MB
WinXP PRO

And according to the program, I am about 10% above Recommended Specs.

I had excactly the same system at home and was playing Doom3 on almost lowest settings.
Couldn't get a fair FPS from the game.
Just saying that the program can give false readings.
I also tested it with other games in the program, like Farcry and Age of Empires 3...
With AOE3 I'm 20% above Minimum, but when I play the game with everything on the lowest, it's only pulling 30 fps.
Farcry passed Recommended with 10% and from my experiences, I couldn't get a fair FPS at that game when playing on low settings.
For UT2004, this system got a score of max.
So I installed UT2004 here and threw everything on highest. I was dissapointed, because the fps didn't get above 20 and even on medium settings, the game didn't pull an expected FPS. I expected at least 60.

I think I know why the program gives this lame score.
It only looks at the capabilities, not the speed of the GPU, RAM and VRAM (VRAM is the RAM on the videocard, but it could have a different name)

K, that was the breakdown of the program.

I noticed that "System Board" is found twice in that list.
Is that a bad thing?
Got a question to you btw, do you play UT2004?
</off topic>

Edited by IO-error, 12 October 2006 - 03:46 AM.

Limp N00dle

Limp N00dle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dell site has even more outdated drivers than I already have.
I have a Dimension 8300.
I'm going to exchange this card for another at BestBuy, just to be safe.

System board. No idea what it is or why there are 2. They are in 2 different locations.
on Intel® 82801EB LPC Interface Controller - 24D0
&
on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

System Requirement Labs thing. I just use it to get a good idea.
Raven Shield, GRAW and CSS is about all I play.

Disabling intergrated sound to remove the unknown device in manager good idea?

Edited by Limp N00dle, 12 October 2006 - 09:17 AM.