Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would a 256 graphics card be better then a 512?

• Please log in to reply

r2zoo

r2zoo

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, after decideding on my PNY 7300GT, it just so happens my Microcenter(local pc store) sales paper came today, and i noticied they had a sale on 512MB card, the POWERCOLOR X1300( http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131011 ) for a few dollars less then the PNY 7300GT, which is 256(http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133172 ).

Now what im trying to figure out is if the extra 256 RAM on the POWERCOLOR is worth the noticable diffrence in performence.

PNY 7300GT

Model
Brand PNY
Model VCG7300GXPB
Interface
Interface PCI Express x16
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU Geforce 7300GT
Core clock 350MHz
PixelPipelines 8
Memory
Memory Clock 667MHz Memory Data Rate (effective)
Memory Size 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR2

and

POWERCOLOR Radeon X1300

Model
Brand POWERCOLOR
Model X1300512MB
Interface
Interface PCI Express x16
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon X1300
Core clock 450MHz
PixelPipelines 4
Memory
Memory Clock 500MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR2

What ive noticed is that the 7300 beats the X1300 in the pixel pipes and memory clock area, however the X1300 has more RAM onboard and a higher core clock. Would the extra RAM and Core speed make this card superior? The 4 pixel pipes has me thinking no.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
ahh in this case go with the 7300 cause the extra ram doesn't mean anything on the card. And FYI both of these cards will have considerable problems running today's games..... so unless u r just planning on using them to play old games neither of them will be a major upgrade, (in fact they might be worse than what u have right now)

r2zoo

r2zoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My current is an Nvidia 5200FX AGP. Im trying to buy a new one for a computer im building(wanting it to run Battlefield 2 low/meidum settings mostly) which only has PCI and PCI-E.

Well another person told me this card would be better then both, can I get a second opinion?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814122008

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
BF2.... hmmm you might want to shell out 50 more dollars for a x1600 or 7600gt caues all tose cards will strugle with bf2. That game eats gfx card for snacks. trust me that 50 will get u a much more pleasant gaming experience.