Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Personal Backup Software

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I need to make a recommendation on a software package to buy to back up personal computers at home, not in a domain enviorment. There may be up to 3 computers so I was wondering if anyone knew of anything good.

Help quickly would be great, Thanks

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Has anyone used D_back before?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if WinBackup from my signature will do, it is free so installing a copy on each PC won't be a problem

If not, post back

Whenever you make a back up, check it has written to the disc, and also check you are able to transfer data from the disc back to the hard drive

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So I would have to purchase this twice to run on 2 computers?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the link for the free version

http://www.backupans.../freewinbackup/

Depending on what you need to back up, XP Pro has back up installed, and it can be added to XP Home

If you purchase a programme it is for use on one PC unless you get a multi-user license

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I dont need to backup anything special, just files from a personal PC, that free version looks to be the ticket, so I will install that on the handfull of computers.

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Remember to check any back up discs to see they have got the correct data, you can transfer it between the disc and the hard drive, and that it is useable when back on the hard drive before you delete the original

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I just ran a test and all went well. That is my solution, so thank you for the info.