Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet stops working

• Please log in to reply

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have 3mbps bellsouth fastacess dsl connection. Bellsouth tech support didnt help.
My problem is that my internet connection just stops working for no reason. I have to either reset the modem to factory setting or apply the winsockxpfix.exe program and restart. This lets me use the connection for maybe 5-30 mins then internet stops working again. I have used updated avg free edition scan and also spyemergency 2006 fully updated i dont know what more i can do

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If your constantly having to reset the modem then the modem is defective and should be replaced but resetting the winsocks is an OS issue. That indicates that something on your PC is changing the settings. Active Spyware products and some firewalls use IP table and winsocks settings to block and disable certain known threats but this can also cause the problems that you are having.

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
the modem is brand new and i ran the "device self check" which it passed. as for spyware i have done numerous tests using avg and spyemergency 2006 all updated. HMmm oh let me mention that the connection stops working mainly during large downloads especially torrents. Sometimes though it happens when im not downloading so im not sure thats the cause

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
How warm is it where the modem is? It really needs to be in a fairly cool place. I this same problem and it turned out the room I had it in (with abunch of other systems running) was a wee bit too warm and the modem would lock up.

Make sure that your power is sufficient going to the modem as well. If it is connected to a power strip that has a ton of other things it may start acting funny.

Remember, new does not always mean it is in flawless working condition.

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The temp of the modem is fairly cool. I only have one computer. The modem is connected directly into the wall socket.
If there is something wrong with my modem is there any way i can find out?

EDIT: It stops working while i play online games namely warcraft 3 about 90% of the time these days. Maybe there is some significance.

Edited by tWiStEdArRow, 07 October 2006 - 03:34 PM.