Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web site "Linking"

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I had a web site built and depending on what words are used to find what I sell I don't come up at all or I rank low on a search.

I have been told that there are "free" linking sites that will help in where a site shows up on a search. The more links to it, the higher it ranks.

I guess my question is: Is this true and if it is, where do I go to be listed?

or

Any suggestions for a better ranking on a web search? I would prefer to be rather geographic with my advertising. I am a service business and don't need to be listed nationwide. I would like it if you searched within 100 miles of where I live and for what I do that my site would pop up in the first 5 listings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

ps:

Like most others I would prefer that I don't have to pay huge amounts of money to achieve great results.

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
I don't think these free linking sites would work. They are probably just filled with spam that all of the people clicking on the link from your page would see.

Blog advertising sites do something similar to what you are talking about. But it is how many people link to you the higher your rating is. If you are linking to other sites the link comes up under their site but it means that they are getting up higher in the listing, but you would be listed as a site that links to them.

I'm not sure if this is how it works with search engines though. Have you submitted your site to some search engines? It helps if you provide a site map of your site.

~Matt :-)