Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB connectivity?

• Please log in to reply

afro_akuma

afro_akuma

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm trying to set up a high-speed Internet connection; I have a SpeedStream 6520 router with four LAN Ethernet plugs, a DSL socket and a USB 2.0 (B) socket. However, my computer does not have an Ethernet card in it. I had hoped to be able to use the USB connection, which I assume does not require an Ethernet card. Am I totally off the ball on this, or is it actually possible to connect through the USB without an Ethernet card? Thanks.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Absolutely. They make many vaireies of USB NIC's and most work quite well.

Do a Google search for USB NIC and you should be in business...

afro_akuma

afro_akuma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oops; guess I should be more specific. I have NO network interface card beyond the dial-up adapter in my computer. I want to know if I can connect my SpeedStream to a USB port for Internet access or if I have to get some form of card and connect the modem to it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It can be done, but it's far more reliable if you purchase an Ethernet card instead and put that inside your computer. Windows 98 will like that a lot more than it will like the USB solution.

afro_akuma

afro_akuma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Could you tell me how?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Same way you'd do it with an Ethernet connection. Plug it in. :whistling:

You may need to go to the Start Menu -> Run -> type in "winipcfg", press Enter, click Release All -> click Renew all.

samat

samat

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
The User Manual for this unit has instructions on USB installation, it's very straightforward but you will need to install drivers as part of the process:

User Manual:
http://www.siemens.c...001_1274277.pdf
Drivers:
http://www.siemens.c...ver_1279412.zip

If you actually have the driver CD-ROM that came with the unit then you can follow the instructions as they are in the manual.

If you have to download the drivers, what you'll need to do is unzip the drivers into a folder, then when it says "insert the USB driver CD-ROM...", what will probably actually happen is Windows will ask you where the drivers should be loaded from, and you'll have to point it to the drivers you've just unzipped.