Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recording TV to Avi, etc.

• Please log in to reply

Hockeychaoz

Hockeychaoz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
This is my situation.
I would like to record what I do on my Xbox 360, and have the video on my computer. I do not have Windows Media center, so I cannot use a capture card. I have heard that you can transfer VHS to data, and Im wondering how I would go about doing that?

Also, is there any other way to record TV onto my computer?

Thanks for any help. :whistling:

Advertisements

Ruben Rodriguez

Ruben Rodriguez

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have just recently gotten into recording shows from my TIVO to my laptop using Windows Movie Maker and an ADS Video Express USB2 capture device (with the rca compasite inputs).

I get great quality 640 x 480 in a wmv.

I am really impressed. Windows Movie Maker is much better than the software the ads device came with, imo. AND the WMM is so easy to use because it has a timer so you can just set the length of the program and walk away.

I am sure there are other better more sophisticaed programs, but I am not complaing. As a matter of fact I recorded a 2 hour show in 640 x 480 and created a dvd in Nero and it had to compress it (it even added chapters).

Just get a capture device and just install the drivers and WMM will do the rest. Hook up your XBOX, VCR, TIVO, DVD, etc. and you're good to go.

My 2 Cents.

I do not want to get in trouble so I want to add that I do it for personal reasons (I have kids who love certain programs that are not out on video or dvd) I am not responsible for what you record.