Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many Windows functions not working; no original CD

• Please log in to reply

wannabe_geek1

wannabe_geek1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have been trying to access several programs (all windows related-explorer, help & support, system restore) and keep getting the same error message that there has been a "problem" and the program needs to close. I probably deleted some file preventing these from opening; is there some generic file that could help me? Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Without providing us with more specific details, at this stage I would recommend you first use 'Sytem Restore' to turn your system back to an earlier date which precedes the start of your problems.

wannabe_geek1

wannabe_geek1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
System restore was one of the programs that wouldn't work. I eventually got it to work by inserting someone else's windows xp cd (that I do not have the passcode for). Is there some way to copy all the registry files off the xp cd that I have so I can restore everything back to normal on the computer? What other details would you need?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have YOUR product key? It may be located on a sticker somewhere on the machine...usually the back.

Is the cd you have for the same version of XP that you have installed?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 October 2006 - 12:12 PM.