Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best pc security protection?

• Please log in to reply

blue sky

blue sky

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hello.

Lately i have had a pest trap problem, among others,happily resolved by GTG. and now i have a seroius problem with, well i don't really know, but i have posted in the 'malware forum', so my question is;

which is, in your opinion, the best way to protect ones pc from all the nasties out there?

At the moment i am using 'Norton Internet Security' but 2 weeks ago i began getting pop-ups from norton saying my subsription was due, still not due for another 2 weeks.

I have found this rather annoying, and suspect this may be the cause of my current problems. or am i being unfair to norton.

I am on AOL so could get Mcafee for free.
Kindest Regards

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I don't use any of the big retail software names for security -- even though Norton Internet Security (AV and firewall) is now supplied free by my ISP and they pay the annual subscription. I find Norton is too heavy on system resources, and if you need to temporarily disable the norton AV (ie when installing an application) you have to go through several menus and screens to do it --- rubbish.

For a firewall I use 'Agnitum Outpost Pro' which is generally regarded as the best downloadable firewall for comprehensive protection:http://www.agnitum.com/

For AV I use the free 'Avast Home Edition' which is at least as good norton without using as much memory, and easy to disable when you need to. Updates are always regular and free (and quick): http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

Those are my two recommendations. They have been protecting me successfully for the last 3 years.

blue sky

blue sky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks pip,
I may try what you have trusted in for the last 3 years but before i download do i need to uninstall norton.
Regards