Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer Problem

• Please log in to reply

miraculous

miraculous

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Could not find a similar problem in search so I have posted my problem here.

Have several problems, including Malware, lost heading in my "Add/Remove Programs" for IE 6, and am unable to install Java. I need Java for work and use Firefox, so this is the problem I would like to address first. It was difficult to get the program on my desktop using 'manual download' from Sun Micro site, but have it now. I have tried to follow their instructions for a fix...by using "Custom Install" and changing the directory, but that didn't work. I get the Message Error 1722 which states...there is a problem with Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support etc.

I looked into Windows 2000 help under Windows installer, but I do not understand and am afraid to attempt anything on my own. Just my playing around trying to solve some problems has made matters worse. Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated. (Serenity now, serentity now...)

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi miraculous.
Please go to malware forum and follow the instructions at the top
Specially the CLICK HERE.
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of
all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having
difficulty and you may not be
Then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
Click Here before posting a Hijack This log.
http://geekstogo.com...o_Here-f37.html

Please be patient it may take some time before one of the
experts can address you problem.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from
the malware expert, please return to this thread.

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanx...have already been reading the page and beginning to download the required packages...have some already installed. It will take me some time to run through the steps. Never tried to restart a computer in safe mode before. My palms are sweating already. LOL

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
relax tap f8 after you hear the beep

use up and down arrow keys

choose safemode click enter

just wait until login window appears

login and safemode will appear around the screen

Edited by rushin1nd, 08 October 2006 - 10:44 AM.

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanx Rushin1nd...checked out the starting in safe mode and that was okay. So I went to Windows cleanup and was unable to check the box "Delete prefetch files". It's knocked out. The instructions seems to indicate that for some users this may not be a checkable item to begin with. What do you think?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to run from start menu....type in ... prefetch...ok...then upper left click edit...then on any blue file right click then delete

that should clear out prefetch

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I wish it were that simple. Run>type 'prefetch' gives me a warning...

"Cannot find file 'prefetch'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

Geez!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you type in like this

'prefetch' ........if you did thats why you got error or warning...just type it like this

prefetch

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
kieth knows the dirty query code he can help there

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Editing here... I did type prefetch no singular quotation marks surrounding the word and that gave me the warning.

Edited by miraculous, 08 October 2006 - 07:10 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for prefetch, you should get one folder in windows

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
????????????????? Not exactly sure what you mean. Did click Tools>Options >click View and checked the tab under Hidden Files and Folders clicked dot show hidden files and folders. Put prefetch in "Search for files and folders" and got nothing. Put prefetch in "Containing text" and got alot of dat files, applications and winnet files but no folders. What am I missing here? Not sure what to click to include hidden folders and SYSTEM FILES. That's where I am lost

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, click more advanced options, tick system and hidden files

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Under Advanced options, I do not get anything to check named System and Hidden Files. All I get are boxes marked...

Search Sub Folders
Case Sensitive
Search slow files

of which Search sub folders is checked

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
he was talkin about using your search from your start menu

we can try it this way

from start....open my computer........right click on c:drive.......open then open windows
folder
.....there in alphabetical order....... look for prefetch right click it....open..... then click.. edit then click select all....then on any blue folder...right click....then select delete.....then confirm by clicking yes

Edited by rushin1nd, 08 October 2006 - 07:41 PM.