Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Service

• Please log in to reply

juise15

juise15

• Pip
  • 5 posts
DMS keeps telling me that it needs to close explorer.exe to keep viruses and spyware from infecting my machine. however I can not figure out what I have or why this keeps happening. It does it every 5 minutes and it wants my to close Windows Explorer because it has encountered an error.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
whats DMS

juise15

juise15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm an idiot...

Its Data Execution Prevention

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
1. On the My Computer icon right click with your mouse and choose Properties. (My Computer can be found on the desktop and/or the Start menu depending on how you have your Windows XP setup.)

2. A small window will have appeared called: System Properties. Look for the "tab" along the top called Advanced, now click it.

3. Now look for the section called Performance and click the button called Settings.

4. You will now see a new window appear called Performance Options, click the tab along the top called Data Execution Prevention

CLICK THIS ONE

Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select

Edited by rushin1nd, 09 October 2006 - 11:19 AM.