Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE not allowing Secure site browsing

• Please log in to reply

doctortao

doctortao

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am asking this question for my Brother and Sister-in-law.

A few weeks ago IE stopped allowing them access to secure website like their Yahoo email, ebay account (not ebay itself; they just couldn't lok into their account) as well as the Windows update service. Bassically any page that offers secure login. I believe it my also prevent any login.

I installed the latest IE (beta I believe) but it didn't correct the problem.

I don't know what to do.

So I downloaded the latest Netscape and it works fine, except when you want it to mimic IE (the new Netscape allows you to do that in the lower left of the program screen), then it gives the same "can't browse to" page.

Any help would be appreciated.

drtao

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hi doctortao!

Does your brother & sister-in-law happen to have Norton installed on their computer?

doctortao

doctortao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
ooo, a challenge! :whistling: It's been a while since I've seen this issue and Norton wasn't involved. :blink:

Uninstall Internet Explorer 7, by using Add/Remove programs. That should revert it back to IE 6. Now do the following:

Download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Put a check next to Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: (towards middle-right side). This will automatically check the sub-boxes too. Leave them as is.

Now click on GO at the bottom. When it is done fixing, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 09 October 2006 - 11:34 AM.