Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

INVALID BOOT.INI FILE

• Please log in to reply

joshua k

joshua k

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I need help with my Desktop PC which when switch on, it shows error message "invalid boot.ini file" under DOS format.

After that the error disappear and the PC reboot by itself again. After a while same error message appear and the PC reboot by itself again and it goes on the same process.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition with D: & E: as my two RW CD-ROM. When inserted a Windows 98 startup disk in the floppy drive, i still be able to excess DOS.

I did try to scandisk by typing C:/scandisk but unfortunately it prompt error telling scandisk encounter an error and cannot proceed.

Please advise when are the ways to rectify the problem.

From,
joshua
9th Oct 2006

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi joshua k...

Is this a branded machine such as Dell or HP? If so, what is the make and model number?

Do you have an XP installation cd for this machine? We will need to access Recovery Console to repair this.

wannabe1

joshua k

joshua k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

I am using AcerPower PC. Below is the link which i have carried out but unfortunately under "RESOLUTION", bootcfg /list or /add or /build all are not successful.

http://support.micro...kb/330184/en-us

I have tried to use "Chkdsk" & "Scandisk" also not successful. At the moment i am manually copy all my document files from DOS C: to A: and transfer copied files to another PC.

Please help !!