Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me install my external HD!

• Please log in to reply

seegoon

seegoon

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK I'm completely lost here. It's a LACIE d2 120GB external hard drive. I plug it in, and the Safely Remove Hardware icon pops up in my systray, but beyond that, nothing. When I open up the Safely Remove Hardware window, it obviously recognises the drive because it says LACIE. How do I use this [bleep] thing? Note: formatting the disk is not a problem.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi seegoon!

Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then double-click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. The COMPUTER MANAGEMENT window will now appear. In the list on the left side, click once on DISK MANAGEMENT under the heading STORAGE. Now look on the right side of the window and you should see all your hard drives and cd/dvd drives listed. Locate the one corresponding to the external hard drive and right click on it and select CREATE NEW PARTITION. The new partition wizard will now open, just follow along with the instructions.

Once your drive is finished being formatted, it will now be ready to be used and should be visible in MY COMPUTER. :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 October 2006 - 11:48 AM.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks, that solved my problem 100%. Will it be use-able on other PCs - i.e. can I use it for data transfer?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Will it be use-able on other PCs - i.e. can I use it for data transfer?

Yes, now that you have the drive formatted, you will be able to unplug the usb cord from your computer and hook it up to another computer and it will work just fine. The only problem you had was that the drive was not formatted and therefore Windows could not use it until it was.

Fenor

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thankyou for your assistance. And stuff.