Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which type is best

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I am in a setting that there are 3 systems that connect at a central HUB, right now the cables that connect are the standard RJ45 Cables, Would performance increase with Crossover or Rollover Cables?

Also this network of 3 machines does not connect to the internet and is for File Sharing purposes and Printer Sharing. If I wanted to set up Static IP would I have to declair a DNS or is that optional? Have not tried anything yet, was just looking for some idea of what to do. I have networked my house but it had a DNS I could use. Thanks again.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No going to another cable would not increase performance. If your hub is not auto-detecting on the ports than it would actually cause it not to work if you used a cross over cable.

As for the network, you can use the hosts file for name resolution if you do not have a DNS server.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
thanks

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No problem :whistling: