Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard connector name

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello, I have recently moved and can not find the keyboard that goes to my childrens computer. I thought I had it but when i went to connect it the connection didn't work. I know that the newer connections are called ps2 (and the newest are usb) but this one is a bit larger and has 5 holes for the prongs to go. Does anyone know what this connector is called so that I may be able to try and search for one. This is an older computer running windows 98 and was given to my children to use. I don't really have the money to try and get them a newer computer to use so finding a new keyboard or adaptor is the only choice i have right now.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think you are talking about a DIN connector. The 5-pin DIN connector is sometimes called the "AT" style for the older IBM computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_plug

http://www.compusa.c...;cm_cat=1069519

http://www.tigerdire...MP=OTC-SHOPPING

The above has a keyboard with the 5 pin DIN connector for $25. The tiger direct is an adapterthat lets you plug in the 5 pin DIN to the computer and then plug in a standard 6 pin mini-din PS2 mouse to the adapter. I tried using an adapter many years ago but it did not work back then so i ended up buying a KB which i still have today.

SRX660

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
because they are old and no one wants them, they turn up at local fleamarkets all the time for peanuts, 25 dollers would probably get you the whole window 98 computer plus mouse to go with it, depends where you live though

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Some of us old timers remember these as "serial ports". They do (or did) make serial to PS2 adapters...check with a local computer store.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you so very much for your responses. I will start my search for one now. I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to help me with this.

Jennifer

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome... :whistling: