Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microphone isn't working properly

• Please log in to reply

danman896

danman896

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My microphone stopped working properly, but it was working fine last time I used it which could have only been a few weeks ago. When I open sound recorder I can hear my voice, although a bit quiet, but I get alot of static and buzz background noise. I can even just sit there not making a sound and record a file, and when I play it I hear a consistent staticy buzz noise.

I have checked volume control and everything is fine, microphone is checked etc. I have tried adjusting the volumes of balance, wave, SW Synth etc but didn't get much out of it. I have also tried doing the test hardware thing under Control Panal's Sound Speech and Audio Devices and that didn't fix the problem.

Oh, and I use Intel® Integrated Audio as my default sound playback/recording device, thought that might be important info.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think it is more likely to be the microphone itself than the computer with static noise but you will need to use another microphone to be sure, can you borrow one off someone

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. try turning the Mic volume down. This should stop any feedback given by it.

nnaso

nnaso

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm assuming that this is external. Have you tried plugging it into another computer?

ybettm93

ybettm93

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Did you find your answer? I have the same problem. you can respond by my user name - ybettm93.

Edited by ybettm93, 20 November 2006 - 07:51 AM.