Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair install Problem Help!

• Please log in to reply

OnlyWayOut

OnlyWayOut

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone.

Let me start out by saying that I cannot afford to lose any information and programs installed on my computer.

I am running a dual boot with Windows XP Home on 1st partition and Windows Xp pro on the 2nd.

After installing a game in WIndows xp pro, my computer would go into safe mode when I restarted.

I uninstalled the game and still had the same problem, so I did a system restore. After the system restore my computer would keep restarting at the Windows Xp Pro splash screen.

I then peformed a repair install with my Windows Xp Cd. AFter the setup files were copied to my computer, and the computer is restarted, the computer keeps restarting at the splash screen.

I can't go into safe mode because setup will not run in safe mode.

I am at work right now, so when I get home I will disable the autorestart function during system failure in the safe mode list.

I do not think this is going to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions that do not include doing a clean install. Can't afford to lose anything.

Pleas help!!!!

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• OnlyWayOutlogocropped1.jpg
  • OnlyWayOutlogocropped1.jpg

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is also the option of removing the hard drive, installing as a slave in another PC, transferring the data to the other PC or writing to DVDRW discs. Once you secure the data then there are more options

It can be a fault with the memory

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Beyond that, you could look at removing all the PCI cards, anything connected by USB etc, so you would be running the repair with only the monitor, keyboard and mouse connected