Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabled User Has WinAntivirus PopUps Again & More!

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I won't tell him either

Can you run this fo a couple of hours at least

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Then can you remove everything connected to the PC other than the keyboard, mouse and monitor

If it still halts, then if you are on for it, remove the power lead, open the case and remove the video card and soundcard if fitted, also leave one memory stick in slot one, close the case, retry the repair

Advertisements

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
Sorry that it has taken me a while to get back to you. Had to go out for a while.
Ok as I told Phil I am able to email you via my sons PC, so some of the time I have been downloading programs to a 1GB USB2 memory stick then opening it up on my PC upstairs.
My PC seems to be locked on "Installing Devices 34 minutes left to go". I have tried to restart & cold start normally without the Windows XP Pro disk but it goes straight into installation with a "Windows Blue window" telling me that "installation is not complete please re insert the disk to continue". It gives me no other options.

So the question is, is there another way to start up windows normally and do as you ask by doing one of the following? Should I download the program to my memory stick or install a burning program on my sons PC and burn it to a CD and run by going into the bios and getting the system to boot up via the CD or even a floppy disk,
Cheers
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can set it to boot from the CD ROM the press enter to load from CD with the XP CD in when you see the prompt and then choose repair, does it make a difference

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi again.
Been there & done that I’m afraid. Even have the T shirt. But to make sure I just went back into the BIOS and checked.
First Boot Device CDROM
Second Boot Device Floppy.
Saved to CMOS & restarted.

Prompt comes up to click on any key to start with CDROM so I clicked in this instance on the space bar. Straight into a blue “Windows Set up” window.

Usually when it asks what I want to do I chose repair by clicking on ENTER to set up Windows XP & Not on R for Recovery console . In this instance are you saying you want me to click on R for Recovery Console?
I just want to make sure,
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try enter first

Then try recovery console

After that, you can use another PC to get memtest to run, then also look at unplugging the printers etc so it is running with only the keyboard, mouse and monitor

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Right, I have had to go into recovery console.

It's come up with the following in CMOS
Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press Enter>? 1
Type the administrator password: (The password is Default in otherwords nothing)
C:\Windows>
C:\Windows>

What command or commands should I put in now?

If you cant come back tonight not to worry as it is late now. But i'll wait just in case you are around. Other wise thank you for you help and I lookforward to further communication hopefully,
Kind regards
Paul

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith are you around?
Any idea's on what the command should be?
Cheers
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Of these, start with Chkdsk /r

Command actions
The following list describes the available commands for the Recovery Console: • Attrib changes attributes on one file or subdirectory.
• Batch executes commands that you specify in the text file, Inputfile. Outputfile holds the output of the commands. If you omit the Outputfile parameter, output appears on the screen.
• Bootcfg modifies the Boot.ini file for boot configuration and recovery.
• CD (Chdir) operates only in the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
• Chkdsk The /p switch runs Chkdsk even if the drive is not flagged as dirty. The /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. This switch implies /p. Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, Chkdsk prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe.
• Cls clears the screen.
• Copy copies one file to a target location. By default, the target cannot be removable media, and you cannot use wildcard characters. Copying a compressed file from the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM automatically decompresses the file.
• Del (Delete) deletes one file. Operates within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources. By default, you cannot use wildcard characters.
• Dir displays a list of all files, including hidden and system files.
• Disable disables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service_or_driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to disable. When you use this command to disable a service, the command displays the service's original startup type before it changes the type to SERVICE_DISABLED. Note the original startup type so that you can use the enable command to restart the service.
• Diskpart manages partitions on hard disk volumes. The /add option creates a new partition. The /delete option deletes an existing partition. The variable device is the device name for a new partition (such as \device\harddisk0). The variable drive is the drive letter for a partition that you are deleting (for example, D). Partition is the partition-based name for a partition that you are deleting, (for example: \device\harddisk0\partition1) and can be used instead of the drive variable. The variable size is the size, in megabytes, of a new partition.
• Enable enables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service_or_driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to enable, and start_type is the startup type for an enabled service. The startup type uses one of the following formats:
SERVICE_BOOT_START
SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
SERVICE_AUTO_START
SERVICE_DEMAND_START
• Exit quits the Recovery Console, and then restarts the computer.
• Expand expands a compressed file. The variable source is the file that you want to expand. By default, you cannot use wildcard characters. The variable destination is the directory for the new file. By default, the destination cannot be removable media and cannot be read-only. You can use the attrib command to remove the read-only attribute from the destination directory. The option /f:filespec is required if the source contains more than one file. This option permits wildcard characters. The /y switch disables the overwrite confirmation prompt. The /d switch specifies that the files will not be expanded and displays a directory of the files in the source.
• Fixboot writes a new startup sector on the system partition.
• Fixmbr repairs the startup partition's master boot code. The variable device is an optional name that specifies the device that requires a new Master Boot Record. Omit this variable when the target is the startup device.
• Format formats a disk. The /q switch performs a quick format. The /fs switch specifies the file system.
• Help If you do not use the command variable to specify a command, help lists all the commands that the Recovery Console supports.
• Listsvc displays all available services and drivers on the computer.
• Logon displays detected installations of Windows and requests the local Administrator password for those installations. Use this command to move to another installation or subdirectory.
• Map displays currently active device mappings. Include the arc option to specify the use of Advanced RISC Computing (ARC) paths (the format for Boot.ini) instead of Windows device paths.
• MD (Mkdir) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
• More/Type displays the specified text file on screen.
• Rd (Rmdir) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
• Ren (Rename) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources. You cannot specify a new drive or path as the target.
• Set displays and sets the Recovery Console environment variables.
• Systemroot sets the current directory to %SystemRoot%.

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello Keith,
Your friend from sunny Spain here again.
Sorry, I did Chkdsk /p first.
Reads as follows:-
CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume.
31254424 kilobytes total diskspace.
6401604 kilobytes are available.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
7813606 total allocation units on disk.
1600401 allocation units available on disk.
This only took around twenty minutes to complete, Where as the following took 2 Hours!
Chkdsk /r
Reads as follows:-
CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume.
31254424 kilobytes total diskspace.
6401604 kilobytes are available.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
7813606 total allocation units on disk.
1600401 allocation units available on disk

Yes it reads the same. Though I guess it must have found something for it to take so long.
So what would you like me to do now? Add another command or Exit & retry Repair installation?
Many thanks,
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-run the repair, remove the leads for printers etc

Advertisements

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi :whistling: ,
I am on it. Shall leave you alone for the rest of the weekend if all goes well with the repair (I have my eyes crossed) and shall procedd with your earlier instructions.
Thanks a lot Keith,
Regards
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith,
Sorry to pester you during you weekend. My Computers at the bottom of the pool.
Not really but that’s where I feel like throwing it. :blink:
Left it over night set for Repair install & have been out all of the morning only to come home and check it to find it seems still hung up again at 33 minutes this time.

I remember with Microsoft ME once, that I reinstalled over the top of the corrupt installation, which worked really well & didn’t delete the other programs & files on the hard drive. Is that possible with XP Pro? Or where do we go from here. :whistling:
Thanks,
Paul

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith are you around?
Wondering where I should go from here.
Thanks,
Paul

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got access to another PC with either a CD / DVD writer, or enough room to transfer any data you need from yours

I didn't get the notifier for the post you did yesterday